Friday, September 24, 2010

Next . . .

from Emily Bryan . . .

A writer, like any type of performer, is only as good as her last offering. Which is why as soon as we write "the end" on one project, we're brainstorming the next one. Writing is like a muscle. The more you do it, the stronger you become. So I thought it might be interesting to kick off a series of posts about what all the Chatelaines are working on right now.

When we started this blog, we were all Dorchester authors. Now we represent other publishers as well. I'm writing for Kensington now under a new pen name, Mia Marlowe. My debut title, TOUCH OF A THIEF, will hit the shelves next May. (Blowing kisses to Jennifer Ashley for her fabulous cover quote for it!)

After Thief, I'll be in an anthology in July 2011 with Diane Whiteside and Maggie Robinson called IMPROPER GENTLEMEN, which was incredibly fun to write! Once you give your hero license to be outrageous, tons of naughty fun ensues.

Now, I'm brainstorming the second book in a 3-book contract, TOUCH OF A ROGUE. The reason the word 'touch' recurrs in my title is that at least one of my characters possesses a psychometric gift. In TOUCH OF A THIEF, my heroine receives visions when she handles gems. It's a bit of an occupational hazard for her since she's a jewel thief. In Rogue, my hero will have the ability to glean information from innanimate objects, in his case, tempered or worked metal. While my heroine in Thief avoided her gift when she could, my hero will grasp his with both hands.

A man takes power where it is offered.

I'm having a great time getting to know my new hero, figuring out what drives him, what he cares passionately about, and what he'll have to give up in order to win the heroine. She's also percolating in the background now and she's going to have to be an incredibly strong woman to challenge and inspire my new Alpha.

This part of writing is playtime. The world of the story is fluid, the characters unformed. Anything can happen.

And I'll make sure it does.

My Mia Marlowe historicals include a sparkle of magic. How do you feel about mixing genres, stirring in a bit of paranormal along with a sense of history in your romances? If you're a writer, what are you working on now?

4 comments:

Gerri Russell September 24, 2010 at 7:15 AM  

Mia,

These new books sound like great fun! Love the new cover.

MiaMarlowe September 24, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

Thanks, Gerri. I'm thrilled with what the art department did with TOUCH OF A THIEF. It's classy and sensual all at once.

What's on your plate now?

Bonnie Vanak September 28, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

Lovely cover! Looking forward to the new books!

Sunnymay September 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM  

The covers work for me, too. I'm working on a romance and the Cleveland State University Creative Writing Group wants more pages. So I'll create a bit of a diversion, spice up the humor and add more to the current setting.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP