Friday, February 26, 2010

To the Netherlands . . . with Love!

from Emily Bryan . . .


One of the really fun things about seeing my words in print has been seeing them in print I can't read. I'm talking about foreign translations. So far, my books have been published in German, Dutch, Italian, Russian and Spanish. You can see all my international covers at Going Global.

This is the Dutch cover for VEXING THE VISCOUNT. The title has been changed to "When He Kissed Her." Authors have no say about titles, even in English, so I was pleased with this one.





On the same website, I found one of Gerri Russell's books as well. The Dutch title is "Forbidden Fruit." Since none of Gerri's English titles remotely resembles that, I'm not sure which of her books this is. (Can you help me out, Gerri?)






And once I found one other Chatelaine, I had to go looking for others. There were three Jennifer Ashley titles on the Candlelight Romans site. Which book of Jenn's do you think this is?

I know the other Chatelaines are published internationally as well. Maybe I can get them to post some of their favorite (or not so favorite) foreign covers this week! It's always fascinating to see how different markets use cover art to sell the stories.

Has a cover ever leaped off the shelf at you so that you had to buy the book?

10 comments:

Nynke February 26, 2010 at 6:06 AM  

The Dutch title for Vexing the Viscount actually means 'when he kisses her', not 'kissed' - which is good, because Lucian doesn't really stop kissing Daisy, and all sorts of things keep happening to her when he does. :)

The English title of 'Forbidden Fruit' is apparently 'To Tempt a Knight' - the original cover looks so cool!

Finally, Jennifer Ashley's title, 'Als jij me verleidt', translates as 'if you seduce me' (or 'when', they're the same in Dutch, but from the blurb I think it should be 'if'). The blurb makes it sound like a definite TBR, by the way!

EmilyBryan February 26, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

Nynke--Thank you for the translations and the links to find these covers!!!

Kim February 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

Dank U Wel, Emily and Nynke, for the post and translations! We lived in southeast Netherlands when my husband worked NATO. The castles in the area inspire romance.

A. U. B. (please, if you would be so kind), check out this website, www.castles.nl

The Nederlanders are friendly, helpful, and still appreciative of the Allies for liberating them in WWII.

Our family is cheering for the Orangemen, too, at the Olympics!

Tot ziens!

Janet Kay Gallagher February 26, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

Emily
These covers are neat.
Yes, they would draw you to buy it even if you could not read it.
Some of those dresses are beautiful.

EmilyBryan February 27, 2010 at 5:42 AM  

Kim--Thanks for sharing. I've never been to the Netherlands, but I'd love to go someday. Castles are always romantic, aren't they?

I'll believe the Dutch are friendly. Of all the times I've visited Europe, I only ran into one rude fellow--a Frenchman in Germany who couldn't be bothered with my halting college German. My high school French would have been worse!

EmilyBryan February 27, 2010 at 5:44 AM  

Janet--The covers show that a love relationship is important in every culture. Romance is an international language all its own.

Kim in Hawaii February 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

Kim again ... waiting for the tsunami warning to pass in Hawaii.

Just imagine how your titles would translate into:

- Hawaiian with only 12 letters in the alphabet

- Greek with its ancient language

- Serbian with its lack of vowels in its word structures

EmilyBryan February 28, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

Kim--I'm so glad the tsunami didn't damage Hawaii.

I don't know about Hawaiian or Greek, but I have seen a couple in Russian! The Cyrilic alphabet is quite a kick. I've posted two of my Russian covers at Going Global

Bonnie Vanak March 2, 2010 at 3:09 AM  

Fun covers, Emily. Congrats on your international releases!

EmilyBryan March 2, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

Thanks, Bonnie! I still remember your Russian version of the Cobra and the Concubine!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP