Friday, February 12, 2010

Armchair Traveler

from Emily Bryan . . .

I love to travel! And I've been blessed to see a number of fabulous places, but there are still lots of trips I'd love to take. Like to Scotland, for example.

But wouldn't it be grand fun to be able to add an additional element to travel? Like time? As much as I'd love to visit the lochs and the highlands, I doubt they'd live up to Gerri Russell's Scotland.

Invariably when I travel, I have a preconcieved notion of what the area will be like, mostly because of the books I've read. I've been to England several times, but I've never found Arthur's England. All that's left of Roman Britain is a few ruins, but it lives large in Joy Nash's Druids of Avalon series.

I'd love to visit medieval times, to see a noble knight in full armor and feel the ground tremble under my feet before a charge of 'heavy horse.' But since cholera and plague aren't high on my "to do" list, I'll be better off visiting that era in Cindy Holby's BREATH OF HEAVEN (June 2010)

Then there are those places on the globe, like Egypt, that hold a real fascination for me. But because it's not a very salubrious place to be a Christian these days, I can get my desert fix with one of Bonnie Vanak's Egyptian love stories.

And since we're armchair traveling, why confine ourselves to this world? Why not visit Jennifer Ashley's Nvengaria where magic drips from every leaf, or CL Wilson's richly imagined Eloran, home to the Fey of the Fading Lands?

How about you? Where would you like to go? What book will take you there?

2 comments:

librarypat February 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM  

Scotland and Ireland would be my first pick.
As to what book I would bring, I haven't a clue. I never travel with just one book. There are so many good ones written on those areas.
One fall, my DH and I went to Carrabassett Valley in Maine.I had started reading Janet Chapman's Highlander series and had just gotten book 3 or 4. Since the books take place in the same general area, I reread the first ones - aloud to my husband - on the way up there and finished the new one while there. It was a neat experience, since we had the feel of the area and were going places mentioned in the book.
I guess I'd look for books that took place in the areas we were planning on visiting.

Janet Kay Gallagher February 19, 2010 at 2:32 PM  

Hi Emily and All
Enjoyed your tour of all those books. I am going back to Manderlay
again. Checked out "Rebecca" today at the library.
Tessa McDermid is doing a blog for the Joplin Globe Literary Lions Book Club. The group is reading the book and chatting on blog about it. In Joplin,MO they are having a group meeting. This will go on for awhile. They will review six books in a year.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP