Friday, January 22, 2010

The Great Escape

from Emily Bryan . . .

I've been following Bonnie Vanak's blog since she left for Haiti. So far she doesn't seem to have access to the internet, which is hardly surprising. Please keep her uplifted in your thoughts and prayers as she helps deliver aid to the people ravaged by 2 devastating earthquakes.

Bonnie's been on my mind a lot and something she told me once has been rolling around my head. She said she started writing romance as a way to escape the harsh realities of her day job.

I don't have the kind of pressures Bonnie deals with, but I can relate. I read romance for the "take-me-away" quality of the genre. In an uncertain world, I want a guarantee that no matter how bleak things are, there will be a happy ending. A romance story can get you through things.

When I was first diagnosed with colon cancer, Christie Craig sent me her DIVORCED, DESPERATE & DATING to cheer me up. I took it to the hospital with me. (That maybe wasn't the wisest decision since I had a fresh 6 inch incision and Christie's stuff is gut-bustingly funny even in normal times!)

Now I'm the first to credit the prayers of my friends and family for my recovery. But the humor, the freshness, the delight of falling in love vicariously through Christie's story lifted my spirits. It saw me through a time when I was in pain, weak and feeling pretty low. (Thanks again, Christie! You're a doll!)

Has a romance book done that for you? What was the title/author? What was happening in your life?

8 comments:

Susan January 22, 2010 at 7:23 AM  

I had hip replacement this fall, and Marilyn Pappano's Copper Lake series (SRS) got me through it. FORBIDDEN STRANGER, PASSION TO DIE FOR and SCANDAL IN COPPER LAKE are wonderful.
Now I'm reading her latest, CRIMINAL DECEPTION. It's helping get through the loss of a young cousin.
Everything Ms. Pappano writes is a Calgon Moment. It takes me away.

SarannaDeWylde January 22, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

Bonnie is definitely in my thoughts! What a great lady!

As for the books, I can't choose one in particular. Even the ones that I didn't care for still immersed me in another world that I was able to explore for awhile. So for that, they all have a special place.

Terri January 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

It was in the mid 90s which was fairly cool for Kuwait in April and I started this book I picked up in the MWR tent. I needed something to pass the time. Within a few pages I found myself in a small town on the Pacific coast just before Christmas. I can remember hearing my detactment sgt calling me and suddenly, I remembered where I was.

It had been a while since I had found a book that could take me away from the reality I found myself in. The author: Christine Feehan The book was one of her Drake sisters. I will admit that I took that book home with me so I wouldn't forget who wrote it and actually had Ms Feehan sign it about 4 months after I came home at a book signing.

Terri

EmilyBryan January 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM  

Susan--Hope your hip is doing well now. Thanks for the recommendation of Marilyn Pappano. She's new to me.

EmilyBryan January 22, 2010 at 10:03 AM  

Saranna--I often say "A book is a whole world." Sometimes we don't want to live in it, but it's nice to visit.

EmilyBryan January 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM  

Terri--Thanks so much for sharing your story and thank you for your service to our country.

librarypat January 22, 2010 at 9:10 PM  

Romance has served as an enjoyable escape and a nice way to get history lessons.
Not that we were having a bad time, actually it was just the opposite. I had read the first 3 Janet Chapman Highlander books and just found the 4th when we were getting ready for a trip ti Maine. We were actually going to the general area where the stories take place. I had planned to reread the first 3 then start the 4th. I ended up reading all 4 to my husband as we drove. He finally asked me why I was stopping and skipping things. Sorry, I can read intimate scene, but even after so many years of marriage, I can't read them out loud to someone else. Told him if he wanted the juicy parts, he'd have to read them himself. He had a good laugh.

EmilyBryan January 23, 2010 at 5:38 AM  

Pat--My DH reads my stuff. He claims it's to make sure I get the guy POV right, but men enjoy romance and love scenes too.

I bet if you pretend he's not listening (My DH is, on occasion, wife-deaf. I can't believe he's the only man afflicted with this malady!), it would be easier to read the books unabridged.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP