Friday, December 25, 2009

Home for Christmas

from Emily Bryan ...

For most of my adult life, I've lived farther away from my parents than a 12 hour drive. As a result, we've spent plenty of Christmases in airports or driving all night on icy highways. Somehow, we always managed to make the trip and Christmas didn't start till we got there.

Today, my DH and I boarded a plane at 6 AM, headed for the Missouri Ozarks. It's a beautiful part of the country--rolling hills, thick forests and infrequent snows (though flurries are expected for today!)--but more importantly, one of our daughters, my parents, two of my sisters and their families will be there. When I see those well-loved faces around the table, I won't need any presents to open, though I'm sure there will be some.

Later on, my dad will read the Christmas story from the second chapter of Luke. He does it every year. I can't read that passage from the Bible without hearing his voice in my head. We'll play board games and cards and Guitar Hero. We'll go to the movies and exchange gifts that don't fit and eat more than we should.

And after a few days, we'll make the trip back to our regular homes. But we'll still be together, still with each other in the home of our hearts.

I hope you're home for Christmas, too.

3 comments:

librarypat December 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM  

Hope your trip trip is a safe and uneventful (as far as travel problems are concerned) one. Being with family for the holidays makes them so much more special. We too spent too many trips on bad roads to make it home for the holidays. We have learned that we can celebrate when we can. Many holidays have been celebrated on days other than the date on the calendar.
Am glad you can get together with so many of your relatives.

Gerri Russell December 30, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

Emily,

I hope you have a wonderful time! Being with family is the best gift in the world.

EmilyBryan December 30, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

Well, we had a terrible trip on Christmas Day (I'll probably have to blog about it sometime!) but we finally managed to arrive alive and we had a great time with the fam. Hope you all did too!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP