Friday, December 18, 2009

The Family that Plays Together . . .

from Emily Bryan . . .

When I researched Regency Christmas customs for A CHRISTMAS BALL, I ran across lots of interesting tidbits--far more than I could incorporate into my novella. So I posted 6 bonus pages on my website. Just look for the bouncing regency Christmas ball!





There was no NFL football game to occupy Christmas revelers in 1822, when A CHRISTMAS BALL takes place. People had to make their own fun, and in the case of this picture of a game of 'blind man's bluff,' rakish young fellows might have a good deal of fun.

But Christmas was a family holiday. Source documents record the glee of boys and young men returning home for Christmas from their boarding schools. It was almost as if they were inmates suddenly freed from prison! To celebrate their return, their families enjoyed parlor games, many with unlikely names: Shoe the Wild Mare, Hot Cockles, Steal the White Loaf, Bob Apple and Snapdragon.

Spending time with loved ones, flirting with pretty girls, having a jolly time with one's family and friends -- sounds like a Regency Christmas shares much with present day celebrations.

My family plays a card game called "Hand & Foot." We don't play for blood. It doesn't matter who wins. It's just a great opportunity to visit around the table.

What sort of games does your family play at the holidays or any time?

PS. If you're in New England, you can see me on Saturday from noon to 4 pm at Well Read Books, 37 Plaistow RD, Plaistow, NH! I'll be signing copies of my books, alongside my critique partner Ashlyn Chase, just in time for all the romance readers on your list. If you're not able to make it, you can still get autographed books at THE BOOK OASIS. They'll ship anywhere! Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

librarypat December 19, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

Our family enjoys Scrabble and several of the variations of Monopoly. They have come out with a National Park version. I gave my daughter a Lord of the Rings version several years ago. There is a card/board game called Sequence We are also enjoying.
One of these days, I am going to try to play the game of Snap Dragon.

EmilyBryan December 20, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

Ooo! Lord of the Rings Monopoly! That sounds like fun!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP