Friday, November 27, 2009

A Truly Eternal Triangle

from Emily Bryan . . .

My fam and I are planning on seeing New Moon sometime this holiday weekend. I've read the books and since they followed Twilight pretty closely in the first flick, I expect they'll do the same for this second movie. If you haven't read the book, you might want to stop reading now because this post might be considered a SPOILER.

You hear a lot about Team Edward and Team Jacob, with people picking their favorite hero. They are both very worthy, strong characters. But what you never hear about is anyone pulling for Bella.

That's because as the focal point of this unhappy romantic triangle, Bella comes over as weak and wishy-washy, if not downright cruel. As I read the book, I was upset with the way she led Jacob on, keeping him on the string as her "fall-back" if Edward didn't return for her.

This problem isn't unique for the Twilight series. Every romance triangle has an "odd man or woman out." And the one who's torn between two lovers always comes off looking selfish and unsympathetic.

Do you see any way a writer can overcome this? Some of the best have tried it. Dicken's Tale of Two Cities, Scott's Ivanhoe and Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd spring to mind. I suspect it may be impossible to make the center character sympathetic because the human heart craves exclusivity from a lover and I don't think that should change.

Have you ever read a love triangle story that made you like and root for all three corners of the triangle with equal pasion?

I'm counting down the last days of my MERRY CHRISTMAS BALL CONTEST . On December 1st, one lucky person will win a $100 gift card just in time for Christmas shopping. And while I'm talking about gift giving, let me encourage you to think about giving books as gifts this year. You'll be giving hours of pleasure and sharing something that's important in your life.

Enter today and good luck!

5 comments:

Booklover1335 November 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM  

I read two love triangles this year where it was impossible to choose between the two heroes. First was Jennifer Haymore's A Hint of Wicked, and second was Julia London's Summer of Two Wishes. I LOVED them both!

p.s. I am so on Team Jacob :)

librarypat November 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Julia London did a very good job of making the character in the middle sympathetic in her book SUMMER OF TWO WISHES. The situation was an impossible one for all three characters and none of them were to blame. Each one has their moments when they do something questionable, but it is hard to blame them. You thought you knew how it would end, but there was always a little bit of doubt just how it would end. Sadly, it was in some ways a no win situation for everyone.
As for TWILIGHT, I think Jacob and Alice have it over Edward and Bella any day, even if Alice isn't in the equation.

EmilyBryan November 30, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Booklover--I'll have to look for those titles.

EmilyBryan November 30, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

Pat--I like Alice too. She's like sunshine with feet (er . . . maybe not the best analogy since she avoids sunlight usually!) And I'm wondering what she's doing with the dour Jasper. He must have qualities that aren't readily apparent.

I confess to being a Jacobite as well. Mostly because I really like guys who aren't cold. Of course with a werewolf, there's the whole flea thing, but they make a shampoo for that. Nothing can fix a lack of a pulse.

I sort of kept expecting Bella at some point to complain (like Helen Hunt in As Good As It Gets) "Why can't I just have a normal boyfriend?"

Bonnie Vanak December 1, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

I want to go see New Moon! When I finish revisions, that will be my treat!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP