Thursday, November 12, 2009

Several Tidbits

The big announcement this week is that Harlequin is launching a new e-pub-only publishing house, which will be run separately from it's main HQ/Sil lines (different acquisitions, different pay system, etc.)

The new press is Carina Press, which will be a no-advance e-pub house (similar to EC and Samhain), but no definite word yet on royalty rate. (EC and Samhain pay anywhere from 35-40%, so I'd hold out for that, writers.) Angela James, formerly of Samhain, is on board.

The official website and blog is: http://carinapress.com// They plan to publish romance plus many other genres (mystery, fantasy, etc), and launch in Spring or Summer of 2010.

Lots of people chatting about this all over the net.

***************


Another neat thing: The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie is now available in hardback from Rhapsody and Doubleday (and I think Book-of-the-Month as well).

At Rhapsody: http://www.rhapsodybookclub.com/pages/nm/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1049535682

If you've been looking for it in hardback, or know someone who has, here it is, in time for Christmas.

****************
I keep reading about this new FCC regulation (or proposed regulation) that requires bloggers who do product reviews (including books) to add a statement as to whether they've been paid to endorse (e.g., getting books free to be reviewed/raved about.) So here's mine:

Hey, I buy all these books myself. I pay for them. I read them. If I really like one, I do a mini review and say why I liked it and recommend it to others. It costs me my own time and my own money. So I can say what I want, OK?? However if anyone wants to give me loads of chocolate for these reviews or just because you want to send me chocolate--You Go For It!

***************

My recommendation for this week is Must Love Hellhounds. In brief, strong paranormal stories from strong authors. The stories lean more to the fantasy side than the romance--there is romance in them, but it's not emphasized as much as the plot and fantasy elements. The romance is there (integral part of the stories), but these aren't "relationship" stories.

Very enjoyable short reads for dull days. Plus great taste of authors' styles/stories/series if you haven't read them before.

5 comments:

EmilyBryan November 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

I've heard rumors that the royalty rates for the new line were going to be 25% of NET, which is not a good deal for authors. However, this may only be an ugly rumor.

How cool that your books are in hardback, Jenn!

librarypat November 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

Congratulations Ashley. Hard cover is a good thing for the libraries. Paperbacks just don't hold up as well.
I don't do e-books, but the industry need a reliable e-publisher. I've read of too many authors who have had their publishing house vanish overnight and they haven't been paid anything.

Angela James November 13, 2009 at 6:50 AM  

I sure wish I knew where those 25% of net rumors were coming from because we've answered everyone who asks the royalty rates!

Royalties will be 30% of cover price direct from Carina, 15% of cover price on 3rd party distributors.

Thanks for posting this!

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner November 13, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

I also heard 30% on cover for Carina.

Thanks Angela for confirming!

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner November 13, 2009 at 6:57 AM  

There are a couple of good, solid e-pubs out there: the ones I'm most familiar with are Ellora's Cave and Samhain (EC has been paying me regularly every month since 2005). But yes, there have been several who vanished before books were out or not long thereafter--after authors did all that hard work. I always advocate that authors CHECK OUT THE PUBLISHER THOROUGHLY before submitting to an e-pub. (That is, lengthy perusal of their website, purchase some books, talk to authors who write for them, both the happy people and the not so happy).

There are some very good e-pubs out there, there are not so good ones. Good homework on the author's part can prevent much heartache.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP