Thursday, November 5, 2009

Nalini Singh Talks about Her Books!



And the winner of a copy of An Enchanted Season is: jeanette8042 !! Congrats. Please get in touch with me at jenniferashley at cox.net, so I can give your mailing info to Nalini. Thank you all, and thank you, Nalini!!

I'm thrilled that Nalini has come to blog with us today, to celebrate her new release in the Psy-Changling series, Blaze of Memory. She will be giving away a mass market copy of An Enchanted Season to one lucky commenter--so enter and get an early Christmas present!

JA: Nalini you have new releases all over the place! September saw your novella in Must Love Hellhounds, November is Blaze of Memory, a Psy-changeling book, and then you have a book in your new series in February 2010.

What can we look forward to seeing in Blaze of Memory?

NS: Blaze of Memory is set in the world of the Forgotten. Who are the Forgotten? In my world, there are three races—humans, changelings, and Psy. The Psy have phenomenal powers of the mind (telepathy, telekinesis etc), but they have conditioned emotion out of themselves.

The Forgotten are descendants of those Psy who didn’t agree with the conditioning process and rebelled. Though them, we get to see into the past, catch a glimpse of why the Psy made the choices they did.

The hero is one of the Forgotten, while the heroine is Psy—their relationship is dangerous, passionate and…perhaps lethal, right from the very start.

JA: I like the Psy-changeling series because it’s a different twist on paranormals and alternate-world stories. What inspired you to write this series?

NS: It wasn’t one particular thing that led me to write this series, but rather a build-up of interests. I’ve always been fascinated by psychic abilities, and by the big cats, and then one day, it all just seemed to come together.

JA: Likewise, what inspired you to write Angel’s Blood, and start in that direction?



NS: I remember one day seeing an image in my mind of an archangel high up in a tower above New York. Who was he? What was he doing there? And that’s how it began. I sat down and started writing, and I discovered that Raphael was the Archangel of New York, and that he was both beautiful and ruthless. For the rest, you’ll have to read the book!

JA: It's a cool idea--I haven't read the new series yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Look for the next in the series: Archangel's Kiss in February.




I myself would be thrilled beyond belief to be in an anthology with Charlaine Harris (not to mention you, Ilona Andrews, and Meljean Brook). I have the book (Must Love Hellhounds)and am reading through it, enjoying it very much.

You do several novellas a year in addition to your single titles—do you enjoy that process and how is it different from writing full novels?

NS: I adore writing novellas. Because my single title paranormals tend to be quite complex in terms of the overarching plot, it’s nice to occasionally write stories that have a much more linear storyline. Through novellas, I can also explore the lives of secondary characters who we might not see so much in the full-length books, and learn about different aspects of the world(s).

JA: Thank you Nalini!

NS: Thanks for having me, Jennifer!

Please leave a comment or question for Nalini in the comments to enter for a chance at winning An Enchanted Season anthology (stories by Nalini Singh, Maggie Shayne, Jean Johnson, & Erin McCarthy).

24 comments:

cait045 November 5, 2009 at 6:33 AM  

Great Interview. I can't was for the February Release of Raphael and Elena's continuing series. I have to start reading the psy/changeling series because I heard nothing but rave reviews.

usignolc(at)yahooDOTcom

Tawania November 5, 2009 at 6:59 AM  

Hi Nalini,
I have all of your Psy/Changling books, and I LOVE THEM. The first one I ever read was Visions of Heat, I loved Faith's story. I had to find the rest and read from the beginning. Sascha and Lucas story touched me. I have Angel's Blood in my Ridiculously high TBR pile, and I plan on getting to it soon. I can't wait to read more of your work. I'm wishing you much continued success, and keep on writing because I'm going to keep on reading. Happy reading :)

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner November 5, 2009 at 7:00 AM  

Thanks for being here today, Nalini! I have to say the cover for Blaze of Memory is so cool. Love those sunglasses. :-) Mmmm.

Natascha November 5, 2009 at 7:25 AM  

I am a huge Nalini fan. I think she has the incredible ability to create incredible worlds in her books. I am 3/4 of the way through Blaze of Memory and I am loving it.

SarannaDeWylde November 5, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

What fun! I've heard nothing but great things about Nalini and her work and this is definitely on my list to check out.

I love the archangel imagery. Captures the imagination!

All the best!

blackenedquill (at) aol (dot) com

Mel (He Followed Me Home) November 5, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

Thanks Jennifer & Nalini, great interview!

I am a late comer I guess, Must Love Hellhounds was my 1st foray into Psy-Changling & I loved it! I want to read more about Raphael now :) Lucky for me that you are starting a new series so I don't have to play catch up!]

Mel

C.L. Wilson November 5, 2009 at 8:50 AM  

Wonderful interview. Nalini, thanks so much for coming to chat with the Chatelaines today!

I love your books and can't wait for the new ones!

Cheryl

Virginia November 5, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

Hi Nalini, great interview! I have not had the pleasure of reading your books but have been hearing a lot about them. I am going to check them out. Thanks for sharing.

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

Chris R November 5, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

Nice interview. Got to say that Nalini has the nicest book covers!

Linda Henderson November 5, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

Great interview. I can't wait to read your book. I always enjoy your books.

Bella November 5, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

Wow, Naline, I am such a huge fan! I sit in awe of your ability to create alternate worlds. I must have been living under a rock, though, because I did not realize you had started a new series, and as a New York-er, I am now dying to read Angel's Blood even more than I would have been anyway just because you wrote it.

I really enjoyed the interview. Thanks for stopping by and for the giveaway!

Nalini Singh November 5, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

Thanks for the welcome everyone! :)

jeanette8042 November 5, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Fabulous interview and I can't wait for the release of Archangel's Kiss!!

Erika November 5, 2009 at 4:04 PM  

Love all her stories!

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner November 5, 2009 at 4:32 PM  

I am in the middle of "Angels' Judgment" in Must Love Hellhounds even as we speak. (Well, I'm acutally typing right now, not reading, but you get what I mean). Very cool story! I love Nalini has done with with angels, archangels, and vampires.

librarypat November 5, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

Nice interview. I've not yet read any of your books, am just starting to explore this genre. They do sound interesting. It is interesting how many variations on the paranormal world there are. Love anthologies. I've found many authors I like by sampling their stories this way. I've noticed that the stories are often about minor characters in other stories, or a little back story for major characters in other stories.
I hope to read your books soon. Best of luck with your releases.

Fuarie Ai November 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

Hi Nalini!

I absolutely love your books. You are up there as one of my fave aurthors and nothing takes the place of your changelings in my heart. I just got Blaze of Memory and I am loving it!

Biki November 5, 2009 at 11:11 PM  

I -adore- your books Nalini! I cannot wait for Archangel's Kiss and I'm quickly running through Blaze :( They pass so quickly!! *sobs* But I'm very happy that we're still going to be able to follow with their stories afterwards

Julie November 6, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

I can't wait for Max's story...and I'm still \o/ over the fact that Hawke's story is going to be told soon. Thanks for this chance to win!

\o/

Lindlee November 6, 2009 at 6:56 AM  

I've finished reading Blaze of Memory and I loved it! The Psy/Changling series is my favorite but I did like Angel's Blood. Which surprised me because that type of story usually doesn't appeal to me. I'm afraid I'm one of the few who isn't crazy about vampires. But I love Nalini's books so much I decided to give it a try. So glad I did! Overall, I did like it.

Lindlee November 6, 2009 at 6:57 AM  

Heehee...my word verification for my previous post was trystr. I hope that means there's a "tryst" in my near future!

Booklover1335 November 6, 2009 at 11:39 AM  

Hi Nalini,
I haven't read your books before, though I have heard about this series. Just haven't seemed to get around to them yet.

Which book would you say is the best representation of your work for a new reader?

cldivineATyahooDOTcom

Nalini Singh November 6, 2009 at 1:45 PM  

Thank you for the lovely words on Blaze! :-)

Booklover 1335 - "Slave to Sensation" and "Angels' Blood" are both first books in their respective series. AB is a little darker, so what I'd suggest is trying out the excerpts on my website and seeing which one speaks to you more.

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner November 7, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

My dh drew the winner, and it is jeanette8042. Please contact me at jenniferashley @ cox.net (no spaces).

I have now finished "Angels' Judgment," in Must Love Hellhounds. Very cool story--I love the friend, Ellie. Must read more of her! And Deacon was *hot*. My favorite kind of hero. :-)

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP