Thursday, October 22, 2009

Reading this week



If I've discovered one secret about being a writer, it's this--it's far more fun to read someone else's books than bang your head against the wall writing your own. :-)

I write *a lot*, but I always try to keep up with my reading. After all, reading was my main inspiration for becoming an author!

At the moment it's three (yep, I usually have 2-3 books going at once):

Eloisa James: A Duke of Her Own

Leopold, Duke of Villiers, seeks a wife. He is determined to find and bring home his six (count them, six), illegitimate children, and he needs a wife who is high enough in rank to pave their way into society, and one who is patient and kind enough to accept them. He meets Eleanor, a duke's daughter, who has declared she will marry no one below the rank of duke (so she'll have fewer offers--she's not interested in marriage at all, so she thinks).

Delightful reading. I always love Eloisa James's complex, emotional plots, well-developed characters, and sparkles of humor. This book is a good example of why I like her work. And also, I can't lie... Villiers is HOT. (And the cover is so pretty--nice stepback.)

More heat with Bonnie Vanak's Immortal Wolf




Raphael is the Kallan--the "executioner" chosen to ease dying Draicon werewolves to the Other Realm. He's contracted by a very traditional pack in Tennessee to dispatch a Draicon woman they claim can kill with her touch. She's longing for death, they say. But when Rafe arrives at his destination, he finds Emily, a lovely young woman who is very different from the other Draicon and definitely not ready to die. Rafe has a dilemma--if he doesn't kill Emily, his brother, Gabe's life is forfeit (it's in the contract), but how can he execute the woman he's falling in love with?

I love Bonnie's Draicon (werewolf) world--so creatively developed and populated with intriguing characters. I'm looking forward to reading about more; and in fact, Indigo's story (half-werewolf, half-vampire) is up at e-Harlequin for free, one chapter per week. Check it out.

And, oh yeah, Rafe--HOT with a capital H. I've been drooling for Rafe, the black-leather wearing Cajun biker werewolf for a year. Indigo too--tasty, dark-haired hotty fighting the vamp within him.

I'm also reading Gerri Russell's To Tempt a Knight, which is a lovely, lovely historical romance.


Sir William Keith is a Scotsman in the order of Knights Templar, who must remain hidden, because their order has been abolished, declared heretical. William and his friends need to keep sacred treasure out of the hands of the enemy. But when William races to the one man who can help, he finds that man taken, and his daughter left alone and at risk. Of course, he needs to rescue her...even if she begins their relationship by whacking him in the head. :-)

An intriguing and satisfying read. The heroine has one of my favorite names--Siobhan, which if I am right is pronounced almost like Chiffon (Gerri can correct me if I'm wrong).

And in case you think I forgot--William is HOT!

Curl up with these and enjoy. Share your own recommendations and current reads in the comments!!

6 comments:

Patricia Barraclough October 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

Have been reading reviews and excerpts of these books . They all sound like great reads. I just finished SUMMER OF TWO WISHES by Julia London, THE STRANGELY BEAUTIFUL TALE OF MISS PERCY PARKER by Leanna Renee Hieber, LOVES RESCUE by Tammy Barley, THERE AND NOW & HERE AND THEN by Linda Lael Miller, plus a few Harlequin Intrigues and THE DEMON'S LEXICON by Sara Rees Brennan (YA). I am working on NEW MOON by Stephenie Meyer, Eragon on CD in my car, UNDRESSED by Heather MacAllister and am trying to decide which historical to throw into the mix.

Joy Nash October 23, 2009 at 5:19 AM  

So many good books, so little time! I've got Gerri's and Bonnie's on my TBR pile, of course.

And I have to hunt down Eloisa's...I've been keeping up with this series rather sporadically over the past few years. This is the last book in the series, I think. Characters are fantastic, as is Eloisa's writing...

Right now, I'm reading Nicola Cornick's Fortune's Folly Regency series. Not the same old, same old regency plots from Nicola! I highly recommend the series.

Gerri Russell October 23, 2009 at 6:39 AM  

Jennnifer, you are so sweet to mention TO TEMPT A KNIGHT. I've had lots of email about the heroine's name, Siobhan. It's Celtic, and is pronounced sha-von.

My TBR pile just grows and grows, but it gives me comfort that I always have something to read. Having just finished my next project, I'm diving right back into that pile. A whole weekend of reading. I am so ready!

jcp October 23, 2009 at 7:16 AM  

I'm reading Tempt Me at Twilight by Lisa Kleypas along with catching up with older books sych as categories by Ruth Wind and Kathie DeNosky.

EmilyBryan October 23, 2009 at 2:38 PM  

I've got Kathleen Givens' RIVALS FOR THE CROWN on my bedside table. I love her attention to historical detail and the depth of emotions in her characters.

cathhalifax October 28, 2009 at 5:49 AM  

Recently read A DUKE OF HER OWN (my favourite of the series so far) but have to go back and read THIS DUCHESS OF MINE to finish the series. Now re-reading Elizabeth Hoyt's TO SEDUCE A SINNER - having recently read TO BEGUILE A BEAST and then had to go back to one and two in the series - read long ago. Anxiously waiting for TO DESIRE A DEVIL to arrive in the post!! TBR?...the second three (chronological order) in Madeline Hunter's medieval series - starting with BY ARRANGEMENT. I've read them before (except THE PROTECTOR) and find them - along with the first three of the medieval books - to be exceptionally beautifully written. My heart hurts in a good way! This while waiting for (from the library) the latest from Lisa Kleypas, Liz Carlyle, Mary Balogh.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP