Friday, October 2, 2009

The Next Best Celler

from Emily Bryan . . .

Dorchester Publishing is always in the vanguard of the next big thing. Now they're looking for the Next Best Celler! These are electronic novels delivered to cellphones in 500 word increments. Please welcome Candi Wall to THE CHATELAINES. Her textnovel is online now and she's looking for subscribers. Take it away, Candi.

ADDICTION VS. AFFLICTION
Huge thanks to the Chatelaines for having me. I’ve had so much fun thus far on my Textnovel promo blog tour, and I’m ultra excited to be here.
Quick back story ~ I’m a mother of four, auntie of eight, and wife, who divides her time between family, Scouts, sports, Animal Control (my real job which I can say I’m lucky enough to honestly love), and writing. I have a confession… writing takes up a good portion of my free time.

(clear throat as I step up to the podium…)
Hello, my name is Candi Wall, and I’m addicted to writing. I’ve been addicted for as long as I can remember. I don’t really know how it even started, and I’m still shocked at the lengths I’ve gone to, in the process of feeding my need to write…


I’ve often wondered if RWA didn’t actually stand for Romance Writer’s Anonymous. I also wondered if perhaps I was the only one out there who had an unquenchable desire to write. If I was alone in my need to create the euphoric pleasure that ensued when my pen was to paper or my fingers blazed over the keyboard, each word or turn of phrase literally breathing life into the characters inside my head.

My most recent decadent pleasure has been entering Dorchester’s Next Best Celler contest at TextNovel.com. Every word put into the 500 word chapters of ‘STAY’, just fueled my need to write. Every vote or comment affirmed what I’d always wanted. And that was to know someone, somewhere, in some fashion, was affected by my writing. I watch the story grow and come alive and I can’t wait for my next submission (or fix).

But the addiction never wanes, and I’ve begun to think it’s more of an affliction. Like short attention span, sleep-walking, daydreaming, teeth grinding, you know - something you can’t help. My family seems to think it is, and poor DH wonders if my characters will ever ‘Shut Up’.

I can’t seem to stop myself from seeing potential stories in everyday life.
Woman on the side of the road - Suspense!
A beautiful mountain, untouched by technology or human ingression - ahhhh! A highland historical!
The sinister pallor of a cloud soaked moon - oooh! Sexy paranormal.

Okay - you get the point right? Sound familiar?
I knew I had a problem when I managed to write an ultra hot love scene while sitting on the crowded bleachers in my son’s gym, waiting between his wrestling matches. But when my DH brought in a stack of Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds napkins from our van, and each one was scribbled with ideas I’d had during numerous on-the-go-family-schedule outings, I knew I’d been caught. >grin<
He held up the stack, shook his head and laughed. “Babe, I think you’ve got a problem.”

So for those of you who belong on the podium next to me admitting your addiction - share! Is it addiction or affliction? Been snagged getting your fix? Is there a cure and who the heck wants it?

Please forgive the ‘cleverly disguised promo attempt for luring voters’… Okay, it’s just a shameless plug!
You can read/vote for my novel ‘STAY’ at www.textnovel.com ~ if you like what you read.
Have a wonderful day - and I’ll see you between the pages.
Candi Wall

20 comments:

Sandra Sookoo October 2, 2009 at 8:03 AM  

I think you're right. Writing's an addiction. :-)

I can't not write. Period. It makes me happy. It energizes me. It gets my brain clicking with new ideas. A day without writing makes me feel edgy and twitchy. It's like forgetting to put on shoes.

When my first book was released earlier this year, one of my family members, upon hearing the news, said "On yeah, you always were scribbling in a notebook." LOL Now it's typing furiously on a laptop.

I hope there's never a cure!

Candi October 2, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

Thanks for stopping in Sandra.

The addiction has certainly worked well for you. Stay addicted, that way we can celebrate more release parties!

I feeel the same way you do. When you want to write and you have to be away, it's a nagging sensation that won't go away.

Keep those chars talking to you!

Sayde Grace October 2, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

It's an addiction! I swear! In the line waiting to pick my daughter up from school, I've got the laptop out typing away while my two year old is in his car seat playing with his diego toy and babbling away! It's crazy but I love it!

Donna Hatch October 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

Definitely both an addition and an affliction. Sometimes I wish I could find a cure, then maybe I'd be a better housekeeper, cook, scrapbooker...you know, a normal mom. But that might be boring. Besides, it's hard to imagine.

Sandra Sookoo October 2, 2009 at 8:50 AM  

LOL a "normal" housekeeper? That's what I'm struggling with right now! This week has been packed full of writing related things that I'm just now getting around to housework/laundry. It's pretty bad when the hubby comes home from work and says "Soooo, did you get alot of writing done today because I'm out of clean underwear." LOL :-)

Candi October 2, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

HAha - Sayde!

That sounds like something I would do. Hope it helps to know you're not alone.

It's an addiction I love as well!

Thanks for stopping by.

Candi October 2, 2009 at 8:58 AM  

Donna,

Ugh! Now I definilty don't want a cure. The chores will stay til or muse hath their way...

There's no putting off a devilish hero. When they call, we write!

Candi October 2, 2009 at 9:02 AM  

LOL Donna,

DH must be very understanding of your addiction - or very brave.

His humor no doubt saves him from the plight of many another husband or partner who was foolish enough to phrase it - "What the heck did you do all day?"

The non addicted have a hard time understanding - we should be tolerant...LOL

Sheila Deeth October 2, 2009 at 9:19 AM  

Addiction, definitely. (At least, that's what my family say. Get Mum away from the computer...)

Candi October 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM  

Sheila,

That's just until they get you away from it.

When my family wrestles me away in the midst of a hotstreak, they tend to want to put me back til I'm done!

Thanks for commenting.

Jessica October 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM  

Great post! LOL It is both addiction and affliction, for sure. I can't believe you wrote a steamy scene on the bleachers!!! LOL

Candi October 2, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

Hi Jessica,

I couldn't either at the time, but it just kind of happened.

Hubby thought it could be turning into a sickness at that point, but the napkins sealed the deal.

It was Primitive too, I think...LOL

I did manage to stop in between to watch every wrestling match he had and visit with him when he was allowed to come over, so I guess I'm not TOO far gone yet.

Thanks for coming by! And for supporting me in my new textnovel addiction!

Marie-Claude Bourque October 2, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

Hi Candi,
(and waving to all The Chatelaines!)

It is indeed both an addiction and an affliction.
I do need to write first thing in the morning otherwise I am cranky all day.
But it is annoying when I am in the middle of something else (yes, I can relate with your "love scene in the bleacher") and all I can think of is "where is my pen, so I can write this", it can get a little tricky. People do look at you funny LOL.

And may I say how lucky I am for Candi being so addicted, since she is my WP extraordinaire :)

Good luck with the contest Candi, with you all the way!

Candi October 2, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

Thanks MC,

Yeah, I think we've shared some of more - embarassing - moments of needing to write.

Balance comes difficult at times, especially when the scales tip in favor of a hot hero and his lady love!

Thanks for stopping in. You're support is invaluable.

Cate Masters October 2, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

Romance Writers Anonymous - too funny, Candi!
I'm taking the fence (and beyond). It's an addiction because I have to write or risk serious implosion. It's also an affliction, because no one (except other authors) understands what it's like to have characters running amok in your head day and night, and having to chase them down with pen and paper or keyboard.
Third, it's a gift. I've learned over the years that it takes not only persistence, but a certain talent to write, and for that I'm forever grateful.
Best of luck to you!

Candi October 2, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

Thank you, Cate!

And that is so true. It is a gift, and while we can have fun with this topic, I've known many talented people in my life who I wished I could share their specialty.

I think that's why a writer is a writer, or an artist is an artist. Because with any gift, addiction, affliction - it is part of who we are.

Thanks for stopping by.

Loree Lough October 2, 2009 at 11:06 AM  

For me, writing is an addiction, since it most certainly IS a habit. (Fortunately, it's a nice, quiet habit, unlike humming and whistling in the frozen foods section of the grocery store, so it doesn't annoy my hubby.) The only time I'm totally away from works in progress is when I'm asleep. Nope...that's a lie, because even my *sleeping* brain is busy, concocting storylines, character motivations, and subplots!

From time to time, Writing is also an affliction, because rejections are downright painful!

As several of you have already said, I hope no one ever discovers a cure for either!

Happy writing, my fellow afflicted addicts!

Loree

Saranna DeWylde October 2, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

Hello, my name is Saranna DeWylde you killed my... wait. No. Sorry. *clears throat* Okay, I am Saranna and I have an addiction.

I'm at that point where it's a compulsion. Sometimes, I don't even like it. But I do it. Sometimes it feels like trying to pull teeth with the old string tied to the doorknob trick. How To Lose A Demon in 10 Days was totally different for me. It flowed like soft-serve Haagan Daz. Mmm. It was steady, and unlike other ice creams, was tasty the whole process. Which was new for me.

I thought I was going to take a break now it's done, but I already have two more projects on my plate and the new characters are yelling at me.

I first realized I had a problem when I was driving and listening to the cd I'd made and I realized every song reminded me of my hero and slipped into a fugue playing out the hero's history in my head.

I too see stories everywhere and the way my mind twists them sometimes is disturbing. I mostly write romance these days, but I started out writing horror.

We went car shopping and I loathe most car salesmen so I came home and wrote a Lovecraftian tale about tentacled how car salesmen suck the life out of you through your eyes while you're signing loan paperwork and one of them falls in love with a customer when her husband tries to trade her for a car.

Candi October 2, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

Hi Loree,

No cure yet. Seems to be little to no effort being put into the research.

Afflicted addicts! Excellent.

And that 'sleeping' brain can be a monster affliction from time to time. Thus the stack of not-so-neatly stacked notepads and and assortment of pens that block my alarm clock.

One never knows when the addiction will hit.

Thanks for stopping in.

Candi October 2, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

LOL! Saranna - you kill me!

Welcome dear TexNovel foe/competitor!

I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd say your definitly afflicted, but it doesn't surprise me at all that How To Lose A Demon in 10 Days came simple for you.

It reads that way. Just too fun to put down, and down right sexy. It's got all the heat/turmoil/fun and sauciness a good read needs. And you delivered huge. You wear your affliction well.
(Find How to Lose A Demon... at Texnovel.com as well folks)

Thank you so much for coming by! You rock.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP