Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A letter from Rhys, hero of Silver Silence by Joy Nash

Silver Silence, a Druids of Avalon novel, is in bookstores Oct 27!

To celebrate here on the Chatelaines, I'm running a special contest:

One lucky reader who comments on either today’s post (10/21) or next Wednesday's (10/28) by midnight ET on Sunday Nov 1 will win autographed copies of The Grail King, & Deep Magic, along with an autographed copy of the November RT BookReviews magazine featuring yours truly and the Druids of Avalon on the cover!

Please consider including your email with your post so I can contact you quickly if you win! And if you don’t…check out more chances to win at www.joynash.com.

Good luck to all!


To the Once and Future Readers of my tale,

I left Avalon as a lad of fourteen winters.

It was not my choice. The sacred isle was my soul-home. It was there I learned the magic of the Goddess. The white mists cast by Cyric, my grandfather, hid my clan from its enemies. To my mind, there was no reason a Druid should venture into the outside world.

Cyric knew differently. My grandfather's visions showed him a time when the Light would fade from Britain, when war and chaos would threaten the survival of our people. Only on Avalon, hidden in the teachings of The Lady, could the Light survive long enough, grow strong enough, to influence that grim future.

But we were too few on Avalon. We needed children touched by Druid magic, to be trained as Keepers of the Light. It was my duty and my burden to search for those children. I vowed to bring them to Avalon, whatever the cost.

And so began my exile. I was little more than a child myself, carrying no more than the clothes on my back and a harp made by my own hands. Frightened almost beyond my wits. Terrified by every shadow on the road. The first winter storm nearly killed me. I'd wanted it to kill me.

And then came spring. And Breena.

She was a small child when I first saw her. Round and grubby, always smiling. When I looked at her in just the right way, the white Light sang about her head and shoulders. A happy child, well loved by her parents, who were far too trusting in offering a bed to a homeless Celt bard--even one so young as I. For I'd recognized, at first sight, Breena's rare magic. She belonged to Avalon. I would take her there.

Eleven years passed before I succeeded. Eleven long years during which I was a frequent guest in Breena's home. Her family welcomed me, never dreaming I was a viper in their midst. By the time she grew to womanhood, she was deeply embedded in my heart. I did not dare reveal my feelings. Her brother was my friend—he knew Breena, in her innocence, fancied herself in love with me. That she spun happily-ever-after fantasies in her dreams.

She was so young--in years and in experience. A child. I was a man grown, hardened by duty and eternal wandering. Avalon, populated by the Druids I'd plucked from every corner of Britain, was no longer my home. At last, Breena came to dwell on the sacred isle. She learned to master her magic. I was sure she would take a Druid mate. I was even more certain that man would not be me. I remain a wanderer. I will ever be.

And then Myrddin arrived, crashing into my time and my life on a tide of arrogance and forbidden deep magic. The wily old Druid snatched Breena from the very shadow of Avalon, and plunged her into a future of war and chaos…and a deadly Silver Silence.

I followed.

~Rhys

www.joynash.com

14 comments:

EmilyBryan October 21, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

Hey Joy! I can't wait for your next Druids of Avalon title!

I'm going to post this contest on my Contest Cornucopia blog on Friday to help get the word out.

Linda Henderson October 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

I would love to win this book, it sounds wonderful.

Patricia Barraclough October 21, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Have been waiting for this book. This piece puts the other excerpts I've read into perspective. Will be looking for it. Once I get it, I'll have to reread Grail King and finish Deep Magic first. I prefer to read a series all at once. Good luck with the release.

Carol L. October 22, 2009 at 4:39 AM  

Hi Joy,
I will have to get the first two with this one so I can read them all at once.:) Thanks for the excerpts I've been reading on all these.
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

Carol L. October 22, 2009 at 4:41 AM  

I just want to add how much I love the name Rhys. Very nice.
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

Mitzi October 22, 2009 at 10:28 AM  

Hi Joy, Would love a chance to win this book. Looking forward to more in the series!!!

mitzihinkey at sbcglobal dot net

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner October 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

Joy, I'm really looking foward to this release! Love the cover, too.

Joy Nash October 23, 2009 at 5:24 AM  

You can't imagine how I'm looking forward to Silver Silence finally being out! Due to my release schedule with the second round of Immortals and my contemp stories, I started, stopped, continued, stopped, and *finally* finished this book over the course of a couple years - and I really think the book benefited from the extra time during which it stewed in my subconscious while I was writing the other books.

Lexie October 23, 2009 at 7:28 AM  

I have to admit the book looks intriguing!

Lexie
Lexie.Cenni(@)gmail.com

Angelwolfstorm October 23, 2009 at 6:26 PM  

I can't wait to read this!

stacey October 24, 2009 at 12:07 AM  

I love the cover's of your books.have not read your books yet but thay sound great.
sasluvbooks@yahoo.com

Jenny Girl October 24, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

I enjoy atories about Avalon, the old ways and magic. Those times scream for mystical stories. Thank you for the wonderful contest and congrats on the release.
jennygirl73(at)gmail(dot)com

Terri October 26, 2009 at 6:30 AM  

I have to say that this sounds like a series that my husband can enjoy with me. There are so few of them out there that it's a joy when I see one.

Terri
terrid76@verizon.net

Joy Nash November 3, 2009 at 6:38 AM  

Thanks for all the wonderful comments, everyone!

Now for the winner :D...Jenny Girl!

Congrats! You've won autographed copies of The Grail King, Deep Magic, and the Nov issue of RT Magazine. Just send me your snail mail address at joy@joynash.com to claim your prize

Happy autumn to all!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP