Friday, September 25, 2009

Dying to Please

from Emily Bryan . . .
My parents are on their way to my house for a two week stay and I'm so excited to have them. We used to live in the same little Missouri town before my DH and I moved to Boston, so I miss them terribly. This picture of them is from the Alaskan cruise we took together a couple years ago. As you can tell from the pic, they are lots of fun to be around.

But there's a little part of me that's nervous about their visit. I think it's because I'm a "pleaser." I tend to take responsibility for other people's happiness. It's not a healthy thing to do and yet I can't seem to stop myself. So I've been stressing over the details, making sure everything is just right for them.

Am I the only one with this affliction? If you've had it and conquered it, I'd love to know how.

And now we interrupt this blog for a brief commercial message:



Today the 12 Days of A CHRISTMAS BALL Blog Tour is off to a new romance site--Romantic Crush Junkies! And for the first time ever, we're giving away a copy of A CHRISTMAS BALL to a commenter (along with a couple backlist books) so there will be 3 winners today!

Start your weekend early and come join the party!


So as you can see, I'm giving you a "two-fer" today. A neurotic post here and a fun post there. Hope you'll leave a comment in both places! Have a great weekend.

6 comments:

Amanda McIntyre September 25, 2009 at 7:40 AM  

From one "pleaser' to another:

1) enjoy.
2) count your blessings
3) involve them in some of the decision-making.

I've learned as a people pleaser to delegate the happiness factor-because it's virtually impossible for you to change anyone, right?

It sounds like you have a fabulous relationship with the folks! Sure there are bound to be differences, but acceptence of the wonderful person you are,your inviting home,a great family, the accomplishments you've made, the hurdles you've overcome--Im sure make them entirely proud!
Have a fabulous time!

Amanda M

EmilyBryan September 25, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

This is all me, Amanda. My folks are so excited about coming. They've been telling all their friends about visiting us here in New England and about the trip to NC we'll be making together for my cousin's wedding next week.

And I can't wait to have them. I used to go over to their house every morning for coffee on my way to the bank (Thank you, God, that I'm a full-time writer now!) But because we're cramming our together time into one short two week window, I just want everything to be perfect.

It has to last, you see.

Amanda McIntyre September 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

And it will--because it's already in your will, and your heart to have it be great!

besides, is there anything more absolutely perfect than New England in the autumn?????

A.

EmilyBryan September 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

True--we are rather glorious in the fall and the leaves are just now beginning to turn.

kimmyl September 27, 2009 at 6:38 AM  

I have been having a blast with your blog tour. Hope you do this again sometime.

alba September 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM  

Emily I am so a" pleaser "
when my sister or any family member comes to visit I want them to have the best visit ever I start out with plans in mind then give her the options 9 times out of 10 we do the thing I had on the 1st list.Its the same when I go to Scotland although our day trip there are a whole lot more INTERESTING.....
Enjoy your time with your parents I'm sure the quality of time now is a blessing.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP