Saturday, August 15, 2009

Why can't men see mold? (or dust, or dirt, or...)

I returned home recently from a week+ at the beach with the kids - the DH had to work, so he didn't come with us.

Here's what I found in my poor house after 9 womanless days:

In the basement: Glass with an inch of juice and a quarter inch of green and black mold in the bottom, abandoned by one of the kids (no one is owning up to it) and subsequently unseen by their father, even though it sat just a few feet from his computer.

On the kitchen counter: Unopened bag of potato bread hamburger rolls, completely covered in green mold inside the bag. DH didn't notice it.

In the breakfast nook: I left an antique glass milk bottle filled with flowers from the garden - they flowers were just about dead before I left, but I forgot to throw them out. There they sat, right next to the table where DH ate his meals, growing slime and mold in the clear glass bottle just a couple feet from his head. He never noticed.

In the refrigerator: Two cartons of sour milk. Not sure what DH was putting on his cereal in the AM.

To be fair, my husband does do his share (and more!) of cooking, laundry, and grocery shopping. And I'm sure that if he noticed dirt and mold, he would do something about it. He just doesn't notice it.

I swear, it must be something on the Y chromosome. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

Joy

4 comments:

Joy Nash August 15, 2009 at 1:20 PM  

oops, sorry, I swear I set this to post on Wednesday!!!

Oh, well...

EmilyBryan August 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM  

That's ok, Joy. Glad to see someone else has computer glitches too.

My DH actually does see mold, dirt and dust. Bless the man's heart, back when I was working 40 hours a week and trying to write nights and weekends, he used to clean the house and do the laundry on Saturdays so I could crank out 10 pages on that day. Now that I'm writing full time, that's ended, but he's still great help when I need it.

Terri August 16, 2009 at 5:47 AM  

Mine only sees it when I point it out and then acts shocked. Hello, how can you miss dishes in the sink? The laundry does not do itself! Leaving your junk all over the place does not put itself away. Today, I'm working on the house. He's off riding motorcycles with his buddies. Tell me, is there something wrong with this picture?

flip side, if I ask him to do something he will....sometimes with a grump but will do it. But, I feel as if I'm directing a child and I really don't have time for that.

Terri
(who will find time to read later.)

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner August 19, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

Joy: I can see where you get the humor for your books! :-) My dh gets squirrely about mold and attacks it, so he doesn't have that gene, I guess. But for some reason getting socks into the laundry basket eludes him. I find them in the strangest places...

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP