Thursday, August 20, 2009

Read any Good YA Historicals Lately?



I'm taking a break from hosting authors I enjoy (coming up in Sept., Nalini Singh and Gerri Russell!!) because I'm back to writing about four things at once and too busy to do much posting.

However, I always have a book cracked for reading enjoyment, and lately I've been reading YA historicals (e.g., Great and Terrible Beauty series; just finished The Luxe).

I need more! I don't know enough about this genre to know what's out there, so if you or anyone you know has a good list of YA historicals I can glom, post 'em here!! Feel free to expound.

I'm not giving out any prizes this week, but you'd have the satisfaction of knowing you helped a fellow reader (i.e., me.) :-)

Oh, wait, I am running a contest (they're running it for me) on The Mystic Realm, to give away a signed copy of Mortal Temptations by Allyson James to celebrate the September release of the sequel, Mortal Seductions. Warning: This is erotic romance (I do mean it), so only look if you are into erotic romance mixed with Greek mythology and modern-day Egyptian archeology. And humor (erotic romance is where I let myself get a little zany). (I have Chapter One posted at my site: http://www.allysonjames.com/mortalseductionsexcerpt.html)

Meanwhile, please do chat about good YA historicals! I need my TBR pile to grow! :-)



8 comments:

EmilyBryan August 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM  

I had no idea anyone was writing YA historicals. Thanks for opening a new door for me.

Rose Lerner August 20, 2009 at 6:11 PM  

One of my very favorite YA historicals is an older book called The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope. A sensible, plain girl is exiled from Elizabeth I's court to protect her pretty, impulsive younger sister; she ends up under house arrest in a drama-queeny rural castle that could use an injection of good common sense. This is a retelling of Tam Lin so there are fantasy elements too. It's dark and fun and I just adore the romance.

Elizabeth August 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM  

I'm in the process of writing a YA historical. Good to know that there is interest from readers! Loved all of Libba Bray and Anna Godbersen's books.

May August 21, 2009 at 7:22 AM  

I did not read YA historical much but I love Marissa Doyle books

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner August 21, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

Thanks, y'all. Rose and May, I will look up these authors!

I'm finding that YA historicals are different from what I thought they'd be. Great and Terrible Beauty was edgy, a little scary, funny, and in some places disturbing. Anne of Green Gables doesn't live here any more. (But I really, really liked G&TB, I don't mean to imply that I didn't.)

I will definitely be checking out others. I'm not sure whether I'm doing this with an eye to writing them or just to entertain myself. Either way, I win. :-)

Leah Hultenschmidt August 21, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

I remember really enjoying JACKEROO by Cynthia Voight. A young girl basically decides to be her local version of Robin Hood. It doesn't give an exact setting I don't think, so it could be a little fantasy, but the feeling is very historical.

Ann Rinaldi was another one I remember reading a lot of when I was young.

Thanks, Jennifer; it was fun to remember these. Now I'm off to find some Libba Bray.

Leanna Renee Hieber August 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

I love Libba Bray!! (And when I saw that Dorchester had put her name on the back of my ARCs as "fans of Libba Bray will like..." - I was quite happy to say the least)

I'm VERY excited to dive into Scott Westerfeld's LEVIATHAN series, alternate history historicals with Steampunk flair. Totally cool.

Congrats on your Prisms, Jennifer!!

Amy Kathryn August 23, 2009 at 4:00 PM  

The Book Smugglers just finished doing YA month over at their blog and posted suggestions and reviews in a whole bunch of genres. I seem to remember a few historicals in there. One I made a note of was A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP