Thursday, July 9, 2009

Whatcha Reading??


I turned in a manuscript on Monday, and as usual after the crazed frenzy followed by big sigh of relief, I indulge myself in READING! I rummaged my TBR shelf and found a few books I realized I'd been "meaning" to get to and just hadn't. I'd missed a couple gems in my year-long writing flurry (which is only going to get worse):

Gemma Halliday,
Alibi in High Heels

The fourth of Gemma's mysteries, Maddie Springer, gets a chance to show off her designer shoes at Fashion Week in Paris. A mishap brings her mother and mother's psychic friend Mrs. Rosenblatt with her (to her dismay). Of course, Maddie can't go anywhere without trouble brewing (because we wouldn't keep reading if she didn't *g*). This time it's a deceased fashion model and stolen high-priced jewelery. Maddie finds herself suspect number one, and in a race to clear her name (and find that dang Eiffel Tower), she tears up Paris. Ramirez, her cop boyfriend, shows up to help, and interesting secrets about Felix, the intrepid tabloid reporter come to light.

All in all, it is a fun, fast, entertaining read, well written. This is book four--book five I believe ends the series (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and that ending is set up well. Great book, Gemma!!



Beyond the Dark anthology (Angela Knight, Lora Leigh, Emma Holly, Diane Whiteside)

I'm still reading through this anthology, but I wanted to pause and say that the Angela Knight story "Dragon Dance" just rocked. All right, so I'm partial to dragons (says the author of three dragon novels, and who couldn't resist putting dragons into her upcoming Southwest fantasy romance).

The setup is: Hypers are people who suddenly develop a fantastic ability: speed, strength, telekinesis, telepathy, etc. When the ability comes upon them, it can drive them crazy, unless they are handled well. The government, of course, grabs these Hypers and make them agents. They've been studied to the max, and they aren't mutants or supernaturals. At first I thought "ah, like Heroes" but as the story develops, no, it's a little more complicated than that.

Arial Dean is a hostage negotiator whose been called in to talk down a Hyper who's threatening to kill his wife and children. The sheriff also sends for Tracker, a Hyper with strength and speed to help them take down the crazed guy. All is well until the Hyper touches Arial, changing her from Potential into one of the most powerful Hypers of all. Her ability is, well... I don't want to spoil it. It's kewl.

This story was well plotted, well written, great characters, sizzling chemistry between Tracker and Arial, cool backstory... I could go on. This story was so for me! I was amazed at how Angela packed a lot into a novella, but at the same time it didn't feel rushed and over-done.

I'm in the process of reading the rest: I'm on Diane Whiteside's rather cool depiction of mages in England in 1803, and am looking forward to continuing the read today!

Please share what you've read recently that you've loved!!!

6 comments:

CheekyGirl July 9, 2009 at 8:05 AM  

I've been singing the praises of Vexing the Viscount for months! Loved it!

More recently, I really loved Bunco Babes Tell All by Maria Geraci and I Shot You Babe by Leslie Langtry.

Cindy Holby July 9, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

The Madness of Lord Ian. I've been recommending it to everyone.

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner July 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

Aw, thanks Cindy! I wasn't fishing for compliments, but I'll take one anyway. I don't mind. :-) I'm glad you like it, and thanks for recommending!

Emily's historicals are great, and I have to say that Bunco Babes is a terrific title. :-) All Leslie's titles are too. I'm a sucker for a good pun. (Probably why I like Terry Pratchett.)

EmilyBryan July 9, 2009 at 1:32 PM  

Colleen Thompson's RITA Nominated TRIPLE EXPOSURE . . . with all the lights on!

EmilyBryan July 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM  

Oops! I hadn't read all the comments before I popped in with mine.

Thanks, Jennifer. I loved LORD IAN too! Few authors could have pulled off an Asperger's hero and you did it beautifully. I love brave writers!

EmilyBryan July 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

Cheeky--You absolute darling! Thank you for your kind words about my Viscount.

Hope you'll look for my next one (I have the honor of sharing A CHRISTMAS BALL with the fabulous Ms. Ashley and Alissa Johnson)

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP