Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day!


In the USA, today is Independence Day, or the 233rd Anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Most of us are happy to have the day off from work, to spend time with our family and friends. At my house this is, traditionally, a day we don't do much besides picnic in our local park, catch up with neighbors and meet new ones, then watch the late-night fireworks.






Today is a day of so many different things for Americans. It is a time to remember our armed forces and the sacrifices they make on our behalf every day. That they might be far away, but oh so close in our hearts.


It is a day of heightened pride and patriotism because of the principles on which our country was founded. The sacrifices our forefathers made to ensure we could live by those principles, and the efforts people have made over the last 233 years to ensure those principles are upheld. That is the source of my patriotism today and, in my opinion, what makes the United States a great country.





So, what does Independence Day look like at your house? Do you have any special memories from your 4th of July celebrations? Do you barbecue the day away, cheer on others in local parades, or enjoy a fabulous fireworks display? Are fireworks legal where you live?
How do you show your patriotism today?

7 comments:

Terri July 4, 2009 at 3:37 AM  

We have a family BBQ. This means depending on who is in town around 20 people. Yes, it's a pretty big group but it's also 5 generations! That's also not all of us. After eating and swimming in my MIL's pool, my husband will set off fireworks that we've bought. The kids love it. My husband use to do explosives in the military and my mom and Suzanne are nurses so safety first is the rule. If the kids don't listen and stay where they are told, the fireworks stop immediately.

All in all, it's a lazy day for me. I have a bit of cooking to do but that's it.

Terri

Nancy July 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM  

Hi, Gerri--The 4th is quiet for us. The boy is going to a friend's house, and the dh and I will probably go out for dinner. Our city's fireworks display launches from a spot we can't see without enduring major traffic hassles, which we both loathe and despise, so we'll probably watch the Boston Pops or some other concert that ends with fireworks and call it done.

I share your gratitude for our country and what it offers us all. My parents' neighborhood used to do a big picnic on the 4th, and it makes me sad to think most of those people are gone now. I still remember Mrs. Caldwell's chocolate cupcakes with Hershey bar icing, a hit for picnics and church suppers. I should've gotten that recipe, but kids don't think about such things.

And I'm madly working on the wip in preparation for RWA next week.

Gerri Russell July 4, 2009 at 9:26 AM  

Terri, You house sounds like my kind of 4th! Family and fun. That is fantastic that you have five generations together!

And the firework ... yes, safety is a must. Any mishaps ever? My husband is from So. California. They used to watch the local park's fireworks display at night, then watch the following brush fires and fire crew as they tried to contain the flames. All in all an exciting night.

Gerri Russell July 4, 2009 at 9:30 AM  

Nancy, It is wonderful that you had that great "community" 4th growing up. Hmmm, I have a Hershey Bar frosting recipe. Maybe I'll post it here sometime and you can see if it brings back the right memories.

Enjoy your 4th of July celebrations. I hope you can find an open restaurant...nothing near us is open on the 4th.

Best of luck to you as you finish your revisions before RWA!

Nancy July 4, 2009 at 10:12 AM  

Gerri, thanks for the good-luck wishes. Hmm--spacey as this sounds, the dh and I hadn't considered whether things would be open. Could be a big uh-oh moment! *g*

EmilyBryan July 4, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

Since July 4th is my Dad's birthday, we have all the fun of a Bday with fireworks thrown in!

Nancy July 4, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

Emily, it's my father-in-law's birthday, too. I hope it's a great day for you.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP