Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini???


Feast or famine!

Some summers my garden is overtaken by squash borers and refuses to produce a single zucchini (zucchino??). That's not the case this year - I've got zucchini coming out my ears!

I sent out a plea on facebook for recipes and got some fantastic suggestions and links to recipe sites. Grilled zucchini, zucchini lasagna, stuffed zucchini, zucchini bread, zucchini frittata...

By far the most unusual -- and tasty -- recipe is Chocolate Zucchini Cake. This cake was so moist and yummy! My two teenage sons, who would not be caught dead eating zucchini on its on, practically inhaled it. I found it here

I omitted the cinnamon and the nuts. I didn't make the icing glaze, but just used cream cheese icing from a can. 45 minutes cooking time was plenty for my oven - I think 50 minutes would have dried the cake out a bit too much. I suspect this cake would be great with coconut, but since the kids don't like coconut, I didn't try it. If you do, let me know how it turns out!

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Ingredients
* 2 1/2 cups regular all-purpose flour, unsifted
* 1/2 cup cocoa
* 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 3/4 cup soft butter
* 2 cups sugar
* 3 eggs
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
* 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
* Glaze (directions follow)

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

1 Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.

2 With a mixer, beat together the butter and the sugar until they are smoothly blended. Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. With a spoon, stir in the vanilla, orange peel, and zucchini.

3 Alternately stir the dry ingredients and the milk into the zucchini mixture, including the nuts with the last addition.

4 Pour the batter into a greased and flour-dusted 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes (test at 45 minutes!) or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes; turn out on wire rack to cool thoroughly.

5 Drizzle glaze over cake.

Glaze: Mix together 2 cups powdered sugar, 3 Tablespoons milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth.

Cut in thin slices to serve. Makes 10-12 servings.

I dare you to TRY to eat just one piece. It can't be done!!!


Joy Nash
www.joynash.com



Available NOW!

A Little Light Magic

Summer at the Jersey Shore has never been so hot!


5 comments:

rebyj July 29, 2009 at 6:31 AM  

I bought "A Little Light Magic" with part of my July book budget. What I liked most about it was lots of dialogue between characters instead of pages and pages of filler and explanations. I really liked it!

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner July 30, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

Ok. Yum.

Cindy Holby July 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM  

ahhh, my mother in law would put zuchini in everything. I was suspicious of everything I ate while visiting there.

Joy Nash July 30, 2009 at 2:31 PM  

thanks so much Rebyj! That's an especially nice thing for any author to know, because writing dialogue is lots more fun than anything else!

Cindy, lol, does your m-i-l know Jerry Seinfeld's wife? She wrote that hiding veggies in everything cookbook with the spinach brownies recipe :-P

I draw the line WAY before that...

Gerri Russell July 31, 2009 at 2:42 PM  

Joy,

When it cools down I'll try to cake! I love zuchinni. My favorite, zucchini pancakes. Yum.

--Gerri

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP