Friday, July 24, 2009

Blogging As A Writing Avoidance Activity

from Emily Bryan ...

We're all guilty of it. Don't get me wrong. Sometimes, when we're in the zone, the story is flowing out our fingers and we can't seem to put a word wrong. We love writing.

We love having written.

Other times, we suffer from "word constipation" and we desperately seek activities that make us look productive when we're not. Blogging is such an activity. And it has the additional seductive edge by promising us we are doing promo--a thoroughly worthy writerly pastime.

However, the page count is not building and the story is not writing itself. So with that self-revelation, I will drag myself back to the 19th century and begin ploughing the virgin page once more.

But just in case you feel like web-surfing (not that that's a writing avoidance activity in and of itself) I can be found blogging in a couple other places today, too! Aw, come on. Join me for a minute. You know you want to. Then we'll get back to real writing again. I promise!

Avast, matey! Join me and the crew at RomanceWritersRevenge for a little pre-weekend wackiness and a chance to win either a critique of your writing or a signed copy of PLEASURING THE PIRATE! Either way, watch out for the undead monkey!

And today at my blog, I'm hosting my friend Melissa MacNeal and her newest release TEMPTED BY A COWBOY. When I learned a year ago that she was writing a Native American hero, I told her about the wildly exciting Indian Relay Races at the WYO Rodeo (loincloths, bareback riding, it just works!) And Melissa sent me an excerpt of the race! Please leave a comment at www.emilybryan.blogspot.com for a chance to win a COWBOY of your own!

Ok, we're back from that brief commercial interruption. Just out of curiosity, what is your favorite writing avoidance activity?

4 comments:

Penelope July 24, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

Walking the dog, weeding the garden, reading a romance novel, riding bikes with my kids, writing inane comments on facebook, talking on the phone with my mother....okay, this looks sort of bad. The only good thing about this list is that I spend a lot of time thinking about my writing while I am walking the dog. Really. Not kidding.

EmilyBryan July 24, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

Housework, or any other mindless activity is a great time to plot, or run scenes through your mind.

I have to watch it though. Sometimes, my DH will look at me and say, "You're writing, aren't you?" I guess I get this glazed expression on my face and I'd better not be doing it while I drive!

Patricia Barraclough July 25, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

I don't write for as a profession, but avoidance of things I should do is still a problem. My avoidance activity - reading. There are too many of you out there writing so many good books. I don't have time to read them all.

EmilyBryan July 26, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

Reading would be a good avoidance activity, but I'd have to choose my author with care. Usually, I'm dissecting as I read, studying writerly issues like POV and backstory.

But there are a few writers who make me forget I'm a writer too and I treasure them!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP