Saturday, July 11, 2009

Back from Neverland


No, not that Neverland.

I just got back from a family vacation in Disneyland in Southern California. It really is easy to escape every worry and responsibility at the happiest place on Earth. There is so much there to distract you. I hadn't been to Disneyland for thirteen years.

Things in the Magic Kingdom have changed since then. For instance, where the old parking lot used to be is a new theme park called California Adventure. My kids ~loved~ the Tower of Terror. Me, not so much. Anything with "terror" in the title should have been my first clue . . . My speed is more the Disneyland side of things, especially the classics. Tom Sawyer's Island was a welcome escape on a hot summer day with the lovely shady alcoves.


It's a Small World had changed slightly since my last visit, incorporating more of the characters from current Disney productions and a bit of musical relief with "theme" songs that harmonized with that other song that hasn't quite left my brain yet. That's Woody from Toy Story on the left. We learned that they are producing a Toy Story 3--something to do with a large pink teddy bear with anger management issues. Sounds interesting.



I truly enjoy strolling through New Orleans Square and admiring all the beautiful iron work as well as visiting one of my favorite rides, the Pirates of the Caribbean. They managed to squeeze Jack Sparrow into the setting three times.

But my all-time favorite ride has to be Indiana Jones. Love it! Not sure why since I'm not so hot on roller coasters, but it's a wild ride that thrills and exhilarates. It appeals to the adventurer/archeologist in me.

What's your favorite ride or your favorite memory from Disneyland or Disney World? Or what would you recommend as the perfect family vacation?

7 comments:

Nancy July 11, 2009 at 5:07 PM  

Hi, Gerri--

We who hurl on swoopy, spinny rides salute you for surviving Indiana Jones. Pirates of the Caribbean is about as wild a ride as I want. And I do love that one.

Did "It's a Small World" go through your head for hours?

Gerri Russell July 11, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

Nancy,

It's been ~days~ of "that" song playing through my head. Oh well, at least it's a happy one. :-)

I went on Indiana Jones three times! Like I said, I really like it. Pirates is great. I love the ambiance, especially all those little fireflies at the beginning.

Terri July 12, 2009 at 3:07 AM  

I don't do roller coasters or anything that goes more than 5 feet off the ground. I've also never been to Disneyland. Wrong coast. I've been to Disney World twice. Can't say any of the rides stand out in Disney World but we loved the raft (tube) ride in Amimal Planet.

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Terri

Gerri Russell July 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

Terri,

Thanks for checking in! I absolutely agree with you about the whole roller coaster thing. The tube ride you mentioned reminds me of one we have here in Washington called the Congo River Ride. I like it because it feels like an escape. Peaceful and relaxing as you float through the man-made jungle.

EmilyBryan July 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

Our kids always loved the IT'S A SMALL WORLD ride. Disney always makes for a great family vaca, but after several trips there, we decided to rough it and take the kids to Yellowstone.

When we stopped at the first geyser basin our youngest asked in awe, "How did the park rangers make this?" Her eyes widened further when we told her people didn't make it. God did.

Genella deGrey July 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

Gerri -
We love the Dis, but we're purists. We enjoy the original and rarely go to Cal. Adv. :)

Were you able to catch the out-door show, "Fantasmic?"
:)
G.

Joy Nash July 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

Gerri, I love Disney World! My favorite place in Disney World is Animal Kingdom. We went a few years ago and stayed at the hotel where the giraffes, zebras, etc, were grazing outside our balcony. It was way cool! And we took an crack-of-dawn "backstage" tour to see where the African animals live when they aren't on display.

Quite by accident I bought a guidebook about Hidden Mickeys (Mickey Mouse heads that are purposely hidden all over the parks), with hints on where to find them. My youngest son got a real kick out of hunting for the hidden mickeys. Some are very clever. My favorite was a MM head made out of the bases of three wine bottles (one large, two small), set in the wine rack at the Epcot Canada Pavilion restaurant.

We came home poor but happy :-)

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP