Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer invasion...

It's official. Summer is here!

And I will cling firmly to that calendar fact, even though the weather around here has not been very summerlike. It's been rainy and unseasonably cool. But hey, that just means the sun is due to be out soon, right?

In the meantime, all the rainy weather has forced armies of ants out of the ground to invade my kids' bedrooms.

First they went to my son's room, where a few days ago he woke to find a juice glass from a couple days before (he hadn't brought it down to the kitchen) covered with ants. Thinking quickly, he killed all the ants, washed the glass, and sprayed his room with the best insect deterrent he had on hand - his Axe deodorant. (Hey, if Avon Skin So Soft can keep away mosquitoes...) Figuring I would be less than pleased about the three-day-old juice residue in his room (he was right), he didn't happen to mention the invasion to me.

The ant army, choking on Axe fumes, staggered across the hall to his sister's room - a place that has a lot in common with an archeological dig. From a culture that does not know the meaning of the words "trash can." The ants were soon happily roaming amid years of junk, hunting (and finding) various and sundry candy & gum wrappers and soda tabs. There were enough of the little critters to send my daughter fleeing to the basement to sleep. I've told her a zillion times not to leave candy and candy wrappers in her room, but since I am only her mother, she of course did not take the advice seriously.

But there's a silver lining to this rainy weather tale. The ants have managed to get my daughter to do I have tried and failed to do for the last three years - clean off her desk and dresser!!

Yay ants!!


Joy Nash

www.joynash.com



Available NOW!

A Little Light Magic

Summer at the Jersey Shore has never been so hot!

3 comments:

EmilyBryan June 24, 2009 at 7:51 AM  

Even though I adore North Carolina and the Ozarks, I always said I couldn't live in the south without my bug man making his quarterly visit.

I'm with the Prez on this one. If it has more than 4 legs, it deserves to die!

Gerri Russell June 24, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

Fortunately in Seattle the ants don't come inside too often. It's too cold and rainy . . . except this year!

I heard a news report that said we were the dryest place in the nation. Really? Seattle? We had a 29 day dry streak. Maybe I should start watching for ants.

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner June 25, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

Ah, ants. I remember when they invaded my house years ago. The day before that we'd sent the living room furniture out to be reupholstered. When the pest control guy came to help us out, I said, "See, the ants even took the furniture!"

I couldn't resist.

Glad you had a silver lining. :-) I live in the desert, which is crawling with critters. And bigger critters that eat them.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP