Friday, June 5, 2009

Confessions of a Technophobe



from Emily Bryan . . .

True confession time. I was a technophobe. I could barely answer email. Yahoo groups were like a Mars landing.

But surprisingly enough, now I'm on a total technology kick.

Last Friday, I shared some new blidgets I'd discovered that were like a blog in a box. This week I discovered Amazon's carousel style widgets. I have no programming knowledge whatsoever and yet, I can point and click and pull together this fun thingamajig that spins and sparkles. I'm like a newborn with a wind-up mobile over my crib.

The point is, though I realize I'm still at the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" stage in my flirtation with bits and bytes, I'm little by slowly conquering my fear of an unknown. I'm beginning to be techno-proficient, which is a serious leap for me.

I'd all but crowned myself the anti-techno queen.

Now I maintain and update my website www.emilybryan.com, fancy up my blog with lots of gadgets, have MySpace and Facebook pages. I even Tweet, for Pete's sake! I'm a techno-mess.

But the point is, I was intimidated by something (internet technology) but I decided not to let it debilitate me. I still have times when nothing will work. When that happens, my DH comes and just glares at the computer from across the room, at which point, it recognizes a jedi-master of software and hops to before he gets rough with it! But I'm learning new things everyday--even if sometimes it's how something won't work. And even that feels good.

What's the last thing you were abysmal at that you decided to overcome? (Well, if not overcome, at least throw into a headlock until it declares a draw!)

6 comments:

Leah Hultenschmidt June 5, 2009 at 1:30 PM  

Wow - spiffy carousel! I'm going to have to check that bling out.

EmilyBryan June 5, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

Yeah, and it was easy! Let me know if you need the URL for building one. I "favorited" it.

Terri June 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM  

Congrats on getting through the technology challenge. I'm still at the starting line and not budging anytime soon. One day I'll figure out how to use the VCR. Oh, wait a minute, they already got rid of the and put in a dvd player which I can turn on and off!

Seriously, I don't want to learn about all this stuff nor do I use most of it. Writing in this little space and playing with my GPS or Kindle is about as high tech as I'm getting.

Oh....and one day I may learn how to use my sewing machine instead of sewing everything by hand.

Terri

Gerri Russell June 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

I'm so in awe. Technology still baffles me often!

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner June 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

Darn you! I went and got carousels for my blogs. Vertical ones, so they're really Ferris wheels. Stop showing me all this cool stuff!! I have work to do!
:-)

Cindy Holby June 7, 2009 at 8:44 PM  

Checking in from vacation to say that is cool. I love it.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP