Friday, June 19, 2009

Book Buyers Best Award!

from Emily Bryan . . .

Writing contests have led to some important milestones in my writing career.

I entered my first contest with sky high hopes, but of course I didn't win. However it gave me some valuable feedback. The judges let me know, very gently, that my tone was not that of a romance at all. I was writing a straight historical and didn't know it! I needed to become a student of the romance genre and hone my craft.

Then I started finaling in contests and even winning a few. (I'll never forget my first win! It was the MELODY OF LOVE contest with Music City RWA. Thanks, ladies!)The day I saw my name in RWR for the first time was the day I felt like a real writer. And because my contest wins proved a few folks liked what I wrote, it gave my first agent and later my editor just the nudge they needed to take a chance on me.

Now as a published author, I still enter contests. And I just learned I finaled in one! DISTRACTING THE DUCHESS is a finalist in the Book Buyers Best! This contest is very encouraging to me because it's judged by the likes of Sue Grimshaw (Border's Romance Buyer!) and Pam Nelson (from Levy, a major book distributor).

Contests are fun. We get cool little badges to flash on our websites. Maybe a few more people will hear about my books and get curious enough to pick one up, but of course, the real judges' panel all authors must answer to is YOU, the reader. Thank you to everyone who's plunked down their hard earned cash to buy one of my books, especially in these times. I appreciate you very much.

If you're a writer, have you found contests valuable? As a reader, are you more likely to pick up a contest winner's book? What's the weirdest contest you ever won? (I personally was the JUMP & REACH Champion of my 6th grade class! LOL! Don't ask.)

After you leave a comment to let me know you were here, if you're up for a little adventure (Hey! It's Friday! Start your weekend with a little webcrawling!), let me invite you over to my blog where I'm hosting JK Coi, paranormal author with a new release. And then please join me, Down Under at the Aussie blog Royal Reviews. They've been celebrating (I kid you not!) EMILY BRYAN WEEK since June 14th. Today I'm talking about THE IMPORTANCE OF GREAT SEX! Please leave a comment there for the Queen of Happy Endings, the Empress of Good and Evil, the Fussy Princess and me for a chance to win one of my backlist! Enjoy!

10 comments:

Cindy Holby June 19, 2009 at 5:33 AM  

Woo hoo Emily. Great News.

EmilyBryan June 19, 2009 at 6:01 AM  

Thanks, Cindy! We writers store up those "atta girl's" like a squirrel gathering nuts for winter, don't we!

Penelope June 19, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

Hi Emily! I won the forth grade arm wrestling championship in my elementary school. The other competitor lifted his elbow and was disqualified!

Congrats on your contest news! You totally deserve it. I think contest wins and finals are important for writer's egos which have a tendency to get squashed like small bugs. Hope you win!!!

EmilyBryan June 19, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

Thanks, Penelope! It is an honor to be in the finals.

And writers do tend to have fragile egos, but as a group, I think there is such an inner core of toughness in our breed, I'm not at all surprised by your arm-wrestling win!

CheekyGirl June 19, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

BRAVO Emily! That Sue's a smart gal so of course she'd pick your book!

My 5th grade elementary school voted on many categories for our "graduating" class. I walked away with two awards - Most Talented and Most Popular. BUT, I remember being so bummed to have lost out on Most Beautiful to my best friend. LOL

First off, what kind of school lets kids vote on awards like that? Secondly, I don't remember being such a brat, but looking back on it now...HAHA!

Seriously though, I wans't really that bad. I have no idea how I ever won those awards, and I sure as hell wasn't popular once I moved to the "big" midddle school!

EmilyBryan June 19, 2009 at 1:45 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
EmilyBryan June 19, 2009 at 1:49 PM  

Oh Cheeky, you've brought back a memory. My middle school newspaper published a piece trying to fashion the "perfect" guy and gal, taking pieces from a number of different people to create this fictional perfection.

Oh, how I wanted to be named for "cool hair", "best bod" or "prettiest anything".

Instead, I was picked for this Frankensteinista's "Personality!"

I was crushed at the time (after all, if you can't say someone's attractive and you want to be nice, you say they have a great personality!) But now I'm thinking, hair goes gray, bod's tend to sag and pretty anthings are very temporary.

Barring something very unfortunate, my personality will be with me for the long haul! Looks like I was the real winner and didn't know it!

Virginia June 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

Congrat Emily, this is great news. The only contest I enter is usually book contest, but I love winning a book. It is such a great thrill to win something even if it is something small. I can't think of any strange or unusually contest that I have entered. I don't even think I enter any contest in school.

EmilyBryan June 20, 2009 at 5:00 AM  

More good news!

MAIDENSONG and ERINSONG (my first two books written as Diana Groe--my serious alter-ego) are headed to Russia! Visit EmilyBryanRomance for all the details!

Joy Nash June 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

Huge congrats, Emily!!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP