Thursday, May 21, 2009

Scandal by Carolyn Jewel


Now that I have many things off my plate (copyedits, page proofs times 2, manuscripts, promotion) I can return to the two things I love best--writing books and reading them.

I'm in the middle of a fabulous historical romance by Carolyn Jewel called Scandal:

Sophie has resisted the efforts of the Earl of Bannalt, a rake with a liking for beautiful women. Sophie considers herself nothing better than plain, so she's unwilling to believe that he's fallen madly in love with her. Besides, he tried to approach her while she was still married to his best friend, plus--Bannalt was the man her philandering husband always tried to emulate. Sophie's marriage broke her heart. Why on earth should she trust that Bannalt will be any better? When Sophie's brother asks her why Bannalt is so adamant in pursuing her, Sophie answers: "Bannalt's not in love with me. He just wants to have won."

This book is full of lavishly layered characters, the layers peeling away as you go through the story. The writing is awesome and beautiful. It's a lovely story of people learning to trust. This book crawled into my head and wouldn't leave me alone, which doesn't happen often.

Carolyn also writes paranormals, and a new one comes out next month (My Forbidden Desire)

So--what are you reading? Any great, highly recommends out there? (Because I so need to add to my TBR pile).

7 comments:

Caffey May 21, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

Hi Jen! Oh I have to get that one! I don't know how I missed it!

Have you read Jillian Hunter? I'm so enjoying her Bocastle series! A reader told me about them and I'm hooked!

I'm reading Mary Balogh's new one, FIRST COMES MARRIAGE. It pulled me right in at the prologue! Some others I recently read and recommend:

MARKED BY MOONLIGHT by Sharie Kohler Lycan theme!(writes historicals as Sophie Jordan).

WHAT A SCOUNDREL WANTS by Carrie Lofty - Robin hood theme historical

THE CLUB by Sharon Page. Her mass market debut

THE KING'S DAUGHTER by M. C. Halliday (Fantasy Romance!)

EmilyBryan May 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

I'm totally loving A LITTLE LIGHT MAGIC by our own Joy Nash! Hope to have a review of it soon.

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner May 21, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

Caffey: Stop! You're making me want to go shopping. :-)

Em: How do you have a copy of LLM? (i.e., did you order online?)

Scandal is quite good. A nice, rich, character-driven story. I like those.

Gerri Russell May 21, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

Carolyn's book sounds great. Who doesn't love a little scandal? Definitely on my to-buy list. :-)

I just read a fabulous book by Jennifer Ashley called THE MADNESS OF LORD IAN MACKENZIE. I highly recommend it!

Pam P May 22, 2009 at 12:19 AM  

Loved Scandal, many of my favorites tend to be character-driven.

Another character-driven that was very good, A Scotsman in Love by Karen Ranney.

Cindy Holby May 22, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

I'm reading the Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie and just finished To Beguile A Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt. I usually try to alternate between historicals and scifi's but found I couldn't wait to read Lord Ian. I love getting swept away by historicals.

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner May 22, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

Cindy: Historicals are the greatest. :-) Even when the "wisdom" said that the market for historicals was tanking, I didn't want to stop writing them. Weird because I planned to be a fantasy writer, then I fell in love with hist. romance. Which, uh, is probably why I'm part of this blog.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP