Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Writer's Work Is Never Done--But It's a Dream Job!


As many people already know, I had a release this week: The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, which is a getting a bit of attention in the blog-o-sphere.

I'd love to say I'm celebrating with a bathtub full of champagne, parties every night, and Raoul the hunky masseur rubbing oil all over my body.

What I'm really doing is finishing up my next book. Pride Mates is a contemporary paranormal romance about Shifters that is coming up in January. (If you've read the Dragon romances I wrote as Allyson James, they are similar in feel. And BTW--The Dragon Master just won an RT Reviewers Choice Award!!!! woo!)



Pride Mates is due... tommorrow.

I'm also reading page proofs of a September release, Mortal Seductions by Allyson James (which is burning up the screen...ha-cha!). And I'm reading copyedits of a novella coming out this fall (also as Allyson James).

Nor do I get a respite after I turn in Pride Mates. I must dive headfirst into the next book on Monday. You could say I have many things on my plate.

I've seen in movies where authors turn in a book and then lounge about in their fabulous mansions for months or even years before they decide they should write something else.

I usually turn in a manuscript, look around at the wreck of my house, groan, and start cleaning. :-)

People think I'm crazy for working this hard on my many novels. (They might be right.)

But I have to say, I've never been happier with a job in my life. It's hard, hard work, but when you work at something you love it's a very different feeling than working at something you can barely make yourself do. For the first time since I started working, I look forward to Monday.

All right, I've run my mouth enough.

Blog friends, tell us about your dream job. What can you see yourself loving to do? Do you have your dream job already? Or would you rather "work to live"? (There is something comforting about a job you can leave at the office.)

5 comments:

Pam P April 30, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

My dream is to find work I can do at home, somehow when I always end up overworked in an office and spend more time there than home.

Jennifer congrats on the RT award, and having just finished The Madness of Lord Ian Makenzie, I can say it deserves all that attention around blogland.

EmilyBryan April 30, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

Amen, Jenn! I'd rather write than almost anything. I think basically all writers have "control issues" which are assuaged by creating our own little fictive playgrounds.

To paraphrase the genie from Aladdin, we have "absolute POWER, . . . very messy living spaces!"

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner April 30, 2009 at 5:29 PM  

Thank you Pam! Yes, working at home is a good thing. Some people have a hard time with it, but it seems ideal for me (though I do make sure I get out). I hope you find a job that lets you stay home.

Gerri Russell April 30, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

Jenn,

Congrats on the new release, and on finishing the next book! By next week you'll be celebrating!! And cleaning. It's the life of a writer, I fear.

I am so happy for you and your well-deserved success. My copy of "Ian" arrived today. Can't wait to read it!

Caffey May 2, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

Hi Jennifer! Huge congrats on the RT Award!! Congrats on your release too! I'm already liking PRIDE MATES! I love the cover for MORTAL SEDUCTIONS. I hope I get to send my hubby to pick that one up (I send him when I'm unable to get out and he's a blast teasing me about 'nekked men on the covers' LOL. Really he's a wonderful hero too.

I'm thrilled your happy with all you're doing! I'm thrilled too and thanks!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP