Friday, April 10, 2009

Mr. Darcy, Where Are You?

from Emily Bryan . . .

No discussion of historical hotties would be complete without a mention of Colin Firth. After all, he IS Mr. Darcy! Even though he appears emotionally constipated at times, there is something sweetly endearing about a man who fumbles about for the right words.





And Colin plays those characters with total conviction, whether he was at his peak of hotness as in the babe-like photo above or as the older, more introspective gentleman on the right. There's always something seething behind his eyes. Still waters do indeed run deep, but I suspect they are far from calm.



On the other end of the spectrum from the man who can't seem to find his voice, there are those who are all voice. It may just be me, since I was a voice major, but I think a man's voice is a huge part of his appeal. (Just ask my DH who's a wonderful rumbling baritone!)

Who can match Alan Rickman's tones (Professor Snape, Sheriff of Nottingham, etc) for silky menace? Or Patrick Stewart's (Jean Luc Picard) Shakespearian ring? And even now when his hair is gone and his rugged features craggy at best, Sean Connery's whiskey voice and Scotish accent still gives me the shivers! Turn out the light and talk to me, baby!

What do you think? Is a man's voice important to you?

8 comments:

Amanda McIntyre April 10, 2009 at 6:34 AM  

I concur on the voice being able to send tingles racing across the flesh, Emily! Sean Connery has GOT to be the quintessential make you melt into a puddle-of-goo voice.

Other voices,(and you've chosen well) Alan Rickman, I get shivers just thinking how menacing his voice is!

I love Tim Curry's sultry British accent and can that guy sing!

How about Gerard Butler's low-timbered whiskey voice? Brad Pitt's soothing, even tone? Either could talk me into just about anything I imagine.

And actually I often DO imagine those voices in my characters!

Cool topic!

Amanda McIntyre

EmilyBryan April 10, 2009 at 11:46 AM  

Hey Amanda! Thanks for stopping by!

We'll be seeing Amanda here at THE CHATELAINES on August 28th. She's blogtouring for her next release and has put us on her itinerary! You'll also be able to hear from her at www.emilybryan.blogspot.com on August 25th!

2nd Chance April 10, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

Fell in love with Tom Baker as Doctor Who because of that wonderful voice.

Same thing with Oliver Reed...that voice!

And you are so right about Alan Rickman...

And Johnny Depp's voice...sigh.

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner April 10, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

Alan!!!!

He was an Austen hero too, in Sense and Sensibility in the early 90s.

My husband and I were just talking about Alan Rickman this morning (specifically in Dogma).

My husband said: "He's a man who can act through clenched teeth and still be more charismatic and interesting than anyone else on the screen."

So true. (It doesn't hurt that my husband is very good at imitating his voice. Mmmm.)

And Colin Firth is a BABE! I loved him in Love, Actually and Bridgett Jones and... pretty much anything he's been in.

Oliver Reed--I had the biggest crush on him after watching him in the Three Musketeers movies. He had the dark, tortured alpha hero down.

Amanda McIntyre April 10, 2009 at 12:18 PM  

Oh! Forgot about Johnny Depp!

Oliver Reed! "Bullseye!" Thats all I can hear when I see his name! LOL

David Niven always had a wonderful voice, that proper English gentleman.
Oh and I love Tone Loc's voice ;)

this is a most distracting topic, Miss Emily!!

Amanda

Amanda

Gerri Russell April 10, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

Ah, Mr. Darcy . . . always one of my favorite heros.

EmilyBryan April 11, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

Oh! and what about James Earl Jones? That man should be declared Emperor of the Known Universe just on the basis of his fabulous rumbling timbre!

Genella deGrey April 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

Emily - That's exactly the thing that puts my knickers in a twist about Snape! Hehe! OK, OK, OK, and his all-black wardrobe, too. :D

Seriously though, I've *always* had a thing for Alan Rickman's voice. Even my daughter (who was like 16 or 17 at the time) looked at me while watching some Alan Rickman movie, and was all, "Mom . . . That VOICE." I was like, "Yeah, I KNOW."

I love those mother-daughter moments when we connect on a woman's level - And yes, it's usually over some hot guy. :D

I think Jane would have LOVED Colin Firth.

:)
G.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP