Friday, March 6, 2009

Why Be Blue?

from Emily Bryan . . . Guess what today is? Naw, you'll never guess. It's Colon Cancer Awareness Day. (Told you you'd never guess.) I'm asking you to wear blue to raise awareness for the need for colon cancer screening. (I can't tell you how relieved I was to learn the awareness ribbon was blue, since I was envisioning several less appealing options!) A screening colonoscopy caught the disease early for me last November, so I'm sort of the self-appointed poster girl now. To learn if you or someone you love is at risk, please visit my blog.

As far as my writing life goes, I'm just starting a new story so I'm building my hero--which is less Frankensteinish than that sounded--but I do have to decide what sort of man he'll be. And I was thinking about what it means to be masculine. Since my DH is taking his team over to a homeless shelter this morning to do some painting and general maintenance, it reminded me that one of the qualities I admire in a man is taking care of those who are weak or less able to care for themselves.

Which has little to do with low-slung jeans and a six pack (but isn't he yummy? Thought you'd enjoy a little Friday eye-candy.)

PS. I'm also blogging at MuchCheaperThanTherapy today and giving away a VEXING THE VISCOUNT to one commenter there.

Pop over after you tell me what you think masculine means here. Of course, we all love a ripped guy, but he can't run around with his shirt off forever. What do you want to see in a hero? What other traits say "masculinity" to you?

4 comments:

2nd Chance March 6, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

Masculine...interesting that you brought up the concept of being a caregiver. Something too many see as the feminine role.

To me, masculine is the ability to take charge when needed, and the ability to surrender control when that is the best for all concerned.

Which really harkens back to being a caregiver, don't it?

And a real man isn't afraid of eye contact.

Maureen aka 2nd Chance

EmilyBryan March 6, 2009 at 11:14 AM  

I guess I was thinking of my historical heroes when I thought about them taking responsibility for all their crofters and retainers. Or like a knight errant protecting the people who live in and around his castle.

In some cultures, prolonged eye contact is considered rude or threatening for males or females. I always think of it like a pack-dominance thing--the alpha dog staring all the others down.

2nd Chance March 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

Hmmm. So true, the dominance thing with eye contact. Mayhap I'm thinking more on a personal level, when soft talk and deep topics are addressed.

It really is cultural.

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner March 6, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

I want to see a ripped guy running around with his shirt off. Or the low-slung jeans in the pic you so generously share. :-) He can do it forever as far as I'm concerned.

:-)

I'm now working on a novel in which the hero is very protective--in a good way. I like that quality. (And he looks good in jeans.)

My May book features a hero who can't look people in the eye at all (he's midly autistic). Don't think that wasn't a challenge!!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP