Friday, March 20, 2009

Looking on the Bright Side


from Emily Bryan . . .
Did you hear about this? It seems a Brazilian Wandering Spider (whose bite is not only deadly but has some curious side effects) was supposedly found hitchhiking in a bunch of bananas in a Tulsa WholeFoods. The stock boy killed it. (My hero! Anything caught indoors with more than 4 legs deserves to die.) Then later a university type said the spider was merely a Huntsman spider, not harmful, and should not have been destroyed. (Killjoy. I really like not sharing my interior spaces with multi-legged beasties.)

And yet, the article went on to say, the deadly variety of spider has a potential gift to give mankind. It seems in Brazil, victims of this spider's bite are easy to recognize in the emergency room. They're the ones sporting a very substantial erection that will last for hours (provided the spider bite doesn't kill them in 25 minutes). So researchers are hopeful that studying the venom will lead to new drugs for erectile dysfunction. (Will they actually find volunteers for that initial human testing?)

So the strawberry in the situation is: The spider bite will kill you, but you'll go out smiling?

This story just sort of pegged out my "weird-stuff-o-meter." What have you seen in the news lately that made you go "Huh?"

4 comments:

Gerri Russell March 20, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

Emily,

A spider!!! I didn't read your post until I posted my postt for the next day!!

A spider?!

EmilyBryan March 20, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

Guess we're on the same wavelength as far as the ick factor goes, but you are more zen-like in your tolerance of them. I bow to your kinder, gentler nature.

Maybe my anti-spider thing comes from living in Denver, where black widows are very common. I could walk around my house anytime and count half a dozen building their ugly webs along the foundation. My kids were toddlers at the time, so I set out on a spider-eradication crusade that really hasn't ever died.

So far so good in Boston. No creepy crawlies in my condo!

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner March 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM  

Spiders for some reason don't bother me. Maybe because they eat other bugs that give me the creeps.

I live in the southwest where black widows, brown recluses, scorpions, centipedes, and every kind of poisonous snake runs rampant. In the city it's not bad, but on the outskirts of town or in small towns, look out.

We also have mice that carry hantavirus, squirrels with the plague (yes, the plague), and killer bees.

But also cute bunnies, javelinas, coyotes, bobcats, and quail. All of which I leave alone, but they have a high cute factor.

Amanda McIntyre March 31, 2009 at 4:55 AM  

Emily, Emily...what you do find in your wanderings....LOL

Amanda McIntyre

"Not all who wander are lost."

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP