Friday, March 27, 2009

Here comes the Wind-up! There goes the Pitch!

from Emily Bryan . . .

If you're a writer you know what I'm talking about. A pitch is a short session with an editor or agent where a writer condenses their work down to a yummy little morsel in the hope that said editor or agent will snap it right up. Reducing 400 pages to one coherent (never mind appealing!) sentence is nothing short of magic, IMHO.

Some folks think once you reach that rarified "published" status your pitching days are over. Not so. We still have to pitch, but we enjoy the luxury of pitching "proposals" instead of completed manuscripts. I'm getting ready for the New England Chapter RWA conference and putting the finishing touches on my pitches to my editor today (She's flying up to Boston from NYC for the conference). Leah wanted at least 3 possible premises. I've got 4 to offer her. Hope she goes for one of them. Please cross your fingers for me!

I'm blessed with a good working relationship with my editor, so I'm going to enjoy the face time with her. But I'm also pitching to a new agent this weekend. My previous one had to close her agency for health reasons, so I'm currently without representation. This meeting will hold a bit more stress for me because I would LOVE to form a partnership with this particular agent. But in my brief time with her, the most I can hope for is a request for my manuscript (I do have a finished Romantic Suspense to dangle before her!) I also hope I don't manage to embarrass myself by blurting out anything stupid.

Today on my personal blog, Emily Bryan Romance, I'm hosting Marie-Claude Bourque. M-C is an American Title V finalist and has become an internet marketing whiz in her quest for publication. She's talking about making the most of your book trailer today AND giving away a $15 Amazon gift card to one lucky commenter. Please visit Emily Bryan Romance.

Leave a comment or question on my blog for your chance to win!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Gerri Russell March 27, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

Emily,

Good luck to you this weekend!! Here's hoping that Leah will love all four!

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner March 27, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

I do not envy you doing all that pitching. Ask Leah about my awful, roundabout pitches to her. It takes me half an hour to explain what I want to do, while she smiles and waits for me to get to the point. I stink at pitching.

I sold my first manuscript via the mail and I got both my agents via a written query letter and proposal. Thank heavens I can still just write things down!

You'll do great. You are much more poised than I am! :-)

EmilyBryan March 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

Ha, Jenn! I'm poised like a duck, placid on top, peddling like crazy underneath! Oh, I got to see our Christmas Anthology cover and the jpgs did NOT do it justice! It's drop dead gorgeous with double embossing. Love it.

Hey Gerri, thanks for the well-wishes. I was hoping Leah would like one and in the end, she let me pick, so maybe she did love all four premises.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP