Saturday, March 21, 2009

EEK! A Mouse!

There are three things in this world that give me the heebie-jeebies: snakes, spiders, and mice/rats. Okay, maybe that's four. But I kind of lump the last two together as furry things my cats like.

Over the years I have gotten fairly used to riding the house of spider-kind with a glass and a spatula to trap the crawly-critter and return them outside. Snakes, I just avoid. At the zoo in Seattle, one of the only warm places to go on a typical rainy Seattle day is the Tropical Rainforest Exhibit. But there, too, I have learned how to be like a horse with blinders as I hurry through the snake portion of the exhibit and on to less emotion-laden animals.

Which brings us to mice. Imagine my surprise yesterday when while working in my office, I heard the cats making noise in my bedroom and went to see what all the ruckus was about. That's when I saw it . . . a rather large mouse running across the carpet as it was chased by our two inside-the-house-only-kittens.

A mouse in the house? How? Why? @%$&! That meant I had to do something about it (before the cats did)! Being a live and let live kind of person, I did they only thing I could. I trapped it in the bathroom, closed the door, got over my horror, and went to find a big box.

After a few squeaks on both mine, the cats, and the mouse's part, I got him in the box and returned him to the outside.

The kittens were crushed. I was thrilled. I had triumphed despite my fear, a household warrior goddess.

How did the mouse get in the house? I can only assume that one of our older cats carried it inside when he came back inside. My children, who are home on Spring break, don't understand that it's important to do a mouth check ~before~ you let the cats back inside. Perhaps the cat thought he was bringing a present to his brothers. Thoughtful cat.

Has anything like this ever happened to you? A critter surprise? A time wher you had to triumph over your fears to get through a situation?

4 comments:

EmilyBryan March 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM  

Ok, I don't like mice either. They can carry the Hantavirus--a deadly respiratory bug.

But I wouldn't have to worry about mice here. My terrier would make short work of them. It's what he was born for!

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner March 20, 2009 at 5:19 PM  

I had a dog when I was a teenager, an enormous German Shepherd, who was a mighty hunter. One day he brought me a rattlesnake egg, partially eaten. He thoughtfully carried it into my bedroom where I was watching TV and dropped it right at my feet. He sat down and thumped his gargantuan tail, like "aren't you proud of me?"

No warrior woman I. I shreiked and ran outside to beg my father to get that snake egg out of my room!

The other encounter was a scorpion in Texas in the bathroom. On my toilet paper. I didn't have my glasses on and couldn't see what the brown thing on my tp was until I lifted the roll close to me.

Thank heavens I hadn't started anything yet.

Again I ran and let someone else take care of it.

I'm such a wimp. :-)

Cindy Holby March 22, 2009 at 6:46 AM  

Our cat carried a black snake in She was so proud. There was a rip in the screen and she just nudged her way in and dropped it in the kitchen floor for her three kittens. The bad thing is the kitchen was U-shaped, with only one entrance that was blocked by the snake. The hubs was in it and not happy to say the least. He jumped up on the counter, got the broom from beside the fridge and wrangled the snake outside while the kitties tried to attack both snake and broom. Snake was most happy to find the exit.

I came home from work in the middle of this. Hubs said "GO Upstairs now!" and after several huhs? I went up and looked out the window over the door. The snake was crawling away. I swear it was at least seven feet long.

Also had a cat carry in a bat. Not a pleasant experience.

Most don't bother me, I just kind of heeb and go on, but I do have an abnormal fear of daddylonglegs. Its related to my mothman experience.

Gerri Russell March 24, 2009 at 8:05 AM  

Thanks for sharing your stories! The situations don't always seem so funny at the moment they're happening, but afterwards it can be quite amusing. And it's comforting to know it happens to everyone!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP