Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A LOST virgin no more


I hate TV.

Honestly.

I hate it when I find a good show that hooks me in like bacon dangled before a hungry dog. Even though it's in its fifth season, I successfully managed to evade getting "LOST."

When others talked about it at work, I stuffed my fingers into my ears and went "blah, blah, blah."

See, I don't have time to get addicted. But I did.

Blame the Sci-Fi Channel. They're doing re-runs of the first season. I made the mistake of turning on my favorite channel, watched one episode and it teased and seduced me, the innocent I was, into surrendering my LOST virginity.

I love mysteries, and paranormal, and drama, and have all of it in this show. I also have little patience.

So I took a gift card I had received, went to Barnes and Noble with a coupon, and bought all the past season's DVD's.

I'm watching them backwards. All those DVD's to view when I could be writing. Or scrubbing toilets.

There are no toilets to scrub on the Island. Except at the barracks, and I bet they have a smoke monster toilet-cleaning maid who magically does them. Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea.

If there is a smoke monster toilet-cleaning maid on that island, I'm moving.

LOST is a great escape after a hard day at the day job, like today when I've been writing a video script about famine and children dying from hunger. I reward myself with an episode (or four!) after I complete my romance writing goal (Goal: Write one coherent sentence. Done!!!)

One of my favorite episodes is the Dharma bus that Hurley found in the jungle. I laughed at Sawyer finding the beer and drinking besides "Skeletor" while he taught Jin all he needed to say to women in English ("No, those pants don't make you look fat.") and was charmed by Hurley's innocent determination.

I love that scene where Charlie stands by his friend and rides shotgun. They are hurling down the mountainside, Charlie squeezing his eyes shut as Hurley is believing, really believing, that it will work and he will have hope, something he's lost along the way. He pops the clutch and it runs!

That scene made me smile. Hope fulfilled is a wonderful thing to see, even on a television show. Even LOST reminds me, when I come home from a day of writing about starvation and sad children, that a little hope can change a lot.

And so, even though I hate being addicted to a television show, I'm finding myself enjoying getting LOST.

So what are the addictions that you have found you can't resist?

3 comments:

EmilyBryan February 25, 2009 at 5:09 AM  

My DH has an NCIS addition for which I'm an enabler. :)

Gerri Russell February 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM  

The only time I have to watch TV is between 9 - 10 PST. So that in itself limits the options. I have really enjoyed The Closer for years, and this year the Mentalist.

But addiction . . . can you say red swedish fish? Weird, I know.

Cindy Holby February 26, 2009 at 5:45 AM  

Ohhhh Lost junkie here. From the get go. This year has been awesome. Every week I am totally blown away. Especially last night. I cried when Boone died and have always leaned more towards Sawyer than Jack.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP