Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sad News for the Writing World

I was sad to see that novelist John Updike passed away this week. It seems like recently the writing world has been losing some terrific authors--Tony Hillerman and Michael Crichton passed away in early November.

It's the end of an era and a change of times. I was especially sorry to hear about Hillerman. I'm a big fan, and as I am about to write a new series set in northern Arizona near the Navajo Nation, I was getting up courage to write him a letter. He'd likely have been too ill to answer, so probably it was good I didn't.

In romance, we fairly recently lost Kathleen Woodiwiss and a personal friend, Ronda Thompson. Also Dawn Thompson, a fellow Dorchester author passed away not long ago.

Not trying to bring anyone down, here! I want more to honor these authors and celebrate their work.

What other authors were special to you that we've lost? How do you remember them?

5 comments:

Gerri Russell January 29, 2009 at 11:32 AM  

I miss Douglas Addams. I loved his wacky sense of humor in books like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Bonnie Vanak January 29, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

sigh...

:-(

EmilyBryan January 30, 2009 at 7:04 AM  

OMGosh! I missed that Michael Crichton was gone. Sad day.

I'm actually talking about John Updike on my blog tour on Feb 3rd. I'm blogging about Literay "First Times" and his Rabbit Run was an eye-opener for me.

Leah January 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

For me, Michael Crichton and Donald Westlake. Both were amazing at pacing.

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner February 4, 2009 at 6:44 AM  

After I posted, I read an aritcle in my Mystery Writers of America newsletter about Donald Westlake. His stories were fun. Another great voice that will be missed.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP