Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy Inauguration Day!


Today our 44th president is sworn in, the first black president in our history.



Last night I stayed up late watching a program on The History Channel (one of our favorite channels). It was The White House; Behind Closed Doors. Laura Bush led Antiques Roadshow Leslie and Leigh Keno to tour areas seldom seen by the public, including the family dining room on the second floor and the president's personal office.




The history of the White House is fascinating. The first president was John Adams, and his wife, Abigail, used to hang laundry in the East Room because the yard was too open and small and she didn't want the public seeing their laundry, even if it were clean, lol.



The British set the White House on fire in 1814 during the war of 1812, and there was another fire in 1929, rather symbolic, I think, seeing that was the year of the big stock market crash that heralded the start of the Great Depression.


They had to build a giant tub to fit William Howard Taft, who weighed 350 pounds and couldn't fit in a normal tub. Four men could sit in it!



But I think the most interesting bit of history for today, is that that slaves built the original White House. And today a black man is moving in to lead the country.


Happy Inauguration Day.

2 comments:

EmilyBryan January 21, 2009 at 4:43 AM  

I confess to being an inauguration day junkie. Even when I was writing, I had the tv going so I wouldn't miss anything.

I didn't vote for our new president (Please don't hate me. I'm a pro-lifer.) but I'm praying for him because we so need him to do well. I admire his obvious devotion to his family. And weren't his little girls absolutely darling?

Gerri Russell January 22, 2009 at 8:29 PM  

It was a wonderful day in history!

As always, I was reminded of what a truly wonderful nation we live in thanks to those who have come before us. And that it is our responsibility to pave the way for generations to come.




We

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP