Monday, December 29, 2008

Wired?



One of my Christmas gifts from DH was a new VCR/DVD digital tuner/timer/player that does everything but wash dishes and sing carols.


I have no idea how to operate it. Yesterday I spent half an hour trying to program channels only to find out he hadn't hooked it up to cable.


I want this VCR/DVD/Whassis? I like to watch movies and program television shows. I also like to read books. Like Dolce here, I am fond of my toys.


But a book is easier to operate. Open, commence reading. Jennifer Ashley's latest Immortals offering and Heather Graham's newest book are on my TBR pile, which is more like a mountain.

To wire or not to wire? Will I be ready in February when the GREAT SWITCH TO DIGITAL TELEVISION EVERYWHERE will come to my TV?

Or will I still be scratching my head, trying to figure out how to hook up the VCR/DVD/Thingie?

DH was busy trying to figure out the new cell phone I got him, and upload his contacts into it, while I tried to puzzle out the instruction manual. Then I realized I was reading it in Spanish.

Dh to me: "Take it next door, they know how to read Spanish."


Me: "Um, no, they're Brazilian. They speak Portuguese."


Dh to me: "They still can probably figure it out faster."


All the while the &#@*#&@ machine is blinking and winking at me, HELLO, HELLO. HELLO.


I shut it off in sheer frustration. It read GOODBYE. In three different languages, I think.


This is why I don't have a portable e-book reader. I'm afraid, very afraid of trying to figure it out, and accidentally deleting something. Not that it's possible, but then again, for me, I could probably find a way to do it. Like right in the middle of a steamy love scene.


"He tenderly kissed her and she stroked his... DELETE DELETE..."


I have two buttons lately. ON and OFF. I feel like the Epsilon elevator operator in Brave New World. "Up? Down?"


Ah, for the good old days of mere VHS when I could barely figure out the cable then... but felt proud when I knew how to plug in the electric!

3 comments:

Terri December 30, 2008 at 4:02 AM  

I have to laugh. I still have no idea how to operate the VCR. We won't talk about the combo thing we currently have that does dvds and VHS tapes. My husband and kids take care of that. No, my clocks are not changed that need to be programed. I can remember to add or subtract an hour as needed. I admit, I am technology challenged. On/Off That's it. I can't handle much more than that. I do have an ebook reader. It has two switches....on/off to read and on/off for the whispernet. I wrote an epinion on this (http://www.epinions.com/review/Amazon_Kindle_Wireless_Reading_Device_epi/content_450017791620). First thing I tell the readers is not to expect a technical break down. Not happening.

Good luck gettng your wires uncrossed and plugged in. I'm telling you husbands and kids....

Terri

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner December 30, 2008 at 6:52 AM  

Bonnie: The other day I was thinking--ok, I need to charge my laptop, need to charge my cell phone, need to charge my iPod, need to charge my e-book reader . . . I personally adore technology, but I think we've gone into overkill here.

The cable and wire alley behind our TV console table looks like wreckage from a world war. Wires, wires everwhere. I told my dh he had to go out and get power strips because we are running out of electric outlets in the house for all this stuff!! I won't go into what it looks like under my computer desk. I think I see wireless in my future.

Excuse me now, I have to go plug in my cat's water bowl.

Bonnie Vanak January 1, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

LOL Terri, I hear you!

Jennifer, you crack me up!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP