Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A winner, Christmas, trains and more trains

We have a winner! COLORS OF ME has won the copy of Emily Bryan's PLEASURING THE PIRATE! Colors, please email me at bonnievanak@aol.com with your snail mail so I can send the book out to you. Thank you everyone who entered!

And please, keep Emily in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow as she goes into surgery.


I'll be giving away another book, a copy of my first Nocturne, THE EMPATH, at Harlequin's special open house this Thursday. The Nocturne chat is from 9 to 10, so stop by to say hello and have your chance to win my book and goodies from other authors.


Times are hard for many people this holiday season. So this year, DH and I decided to do an open house to offer holiday cheer.





We're running the trains. All of them. This is Dolce wearing his reindeer antlers, looking woeful as he sits in the circle of the first track, which is an O gauge. Inside that circle we'll put a G scale gauge.





You see, we don't just have a cute train beneath the tree. Nope, that's for AMATEURS.


When Frank and I bought our house years ago, we looked for a house that had a sizeable back yard. Reason? The trains. We knew we wanted to do a garden railroad, and we needed property. Frank built an outdoor layout. After Hurricane Wilma wrecked the back yard in 2005, we remodeled the back yard and he added MORE track.


This is the two-level layout. He'll probably run the circus train and maybe one of the smaller locomotives on it.





But having trains OUTSIDE wasn't enough for my darling husband. He decided, on the advice of friends (friends?!) to put trains inside our house.

So he built a train layout that goes over the kitchen cabinets, into the living room, into the garage, into the attic. Kids love seeing this train run, and "vanish" into the attic.


One time I was doing the dishes and the train derailed into the sink. Good thing I was fine. Can you imagine the 9-11 call he'd have to make? "Hello, my wife has been hit by a train. In the kitchen."

The trains are loads of fun. Sometimes when I'm in the back writing, Frank will be running the trains and I'll have the Coca Cola locomotive (one of my favorites) chugging by as I'm typing away on the laptop.

I don't know why trains fascinate me so much. Maybe it's the little kid still deep inside. Or the fact that the engines fascinate me with the gears and the power.

Or maybe I just like toys.

So that is what we'll be doing this Saturday. We'll have rum punch, and goodies and lots of trains. I may post photos next week of the trains actually running.
Have a great week, everyone!

9 comments:

Cindy Holby December 9, 2008 at 12:10 PM  

Your trains look like great fun. Rob wanted to put a train around our tree but with an 8 month old Siberian Husky bouncing around we decided it wouldn't be a good idea.

EmilyBryan December 9, 2008 at 12:57 PM  

Dolce looks like she'd rather have a root canal than reindeer antlers! Thanks for the funny pic!

And thanks for the prayer support. I'm feeling good! Will talk to you all after.

Gillian Layne December 9, 2008 at 5:19 PM  

Emily, I'm sending a boatload of positive prayers your way.

Bonnie, your open house sounds like just the ticket, a bit of fun and good cheer, and my husband would be head over heels for those trains.

Gillian Layne December 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM  

Oh, Cindy, we do have a train around our tree, not nearly as fabulous as Bonnie's but it has a loud whistle.

Whenever the cats or the dog get to close and turn it on, it's so funny. They don't run anymore, they just chase it.

Bonnie Vanak December 10, 2008 at 6:58 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bonnie Vanak December 10, 2008 at 6:58 AM  

LOL Cindy, a husky could have lots of fun derailing them!

Emily, thinking of you today.

Gillian, isn't it funny to watch pets around trains?

Gillian, btw, please email me at the addy listed in this post. I need to ask you something. Thanks.

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner December 10, 2008 at 7:10 AM  

Wow, I love the trains! I thought I was odd for doing miniatures (which are all over my house), but they don't actually move. :-) (They do light up, however.) I'm glad to hear you survived the derailing incident.

Lots of thoughts and prayers for Emily this morning. I will send many positive vibes!! I'm so worried about you, Em, but I'm trying to turn worry into good energy.

ddurance December 10, 2008 at 11:31 AM  

Aww, look at Dolce! So sweet!

What wonderful trains! I know the kids would love to see them if we were near you. That should be a blessing to your community.

Deidre

Bonnie Vanak December 12, 2008 at 10:42 AM  

Thanks Deidre, Dolce is a sweetie. We're so lucky to have him.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP