Friday, December 12, 2008

Emily Bryan Going Low-Tech

I'm experiencing the best and worst of technology right now. I'm able to post today because I set this to post last Sunday. I'm actually in the hospital after my sucessful surgery on Wednesday and though I'm enjoying the highest quality of medical care, I don't expect to have access to the internet. Besides, the hospital recommends not bringing electronic devices, lest they go mysteriously missing. (Sheesh! They expect me to trust them with my colon but they can't protect my laptop?) Anyway, the thought of daytime TV is just too depressing. I'm looking for low-tech ways to amuse myself since I'll be officially unplugged for my week in the "health spa."

I'll be reading, of course, and I'll write in the old-fashioned way--with pen and paper. But if I want some mindless fun, I'll try my hand at sketching. The still life above is one I did while we were on our recent cruise. Unlike my heroine Artemisia (Distracting the Duchess) I don't pretend to any artistic talent, but drawing relaxes me. The world is reduced to light and shadow, planes and angles. The process is more important than the product. Other cares fade when I'm concentrating on trying to get my perspective just right.

I have a writer friend who is very visual and when she are brainstorming her stories, she makes collages. She cuts out pictures of people who will become her characters and arranges them on the art paper. It helps her see relationships and conflicts developing between them. I'd be interested to know how many other writers have tried this.

When you want to relax, yet not vegetate, what do you like to do? And don't think I won't check for your comments once the DH springs me from the hospit--er, I mean, "health spa," so be sure to post!

6 comments:

Gillian Layne December 12, 2008 at 6:32 AM  

Emily, I hope you are doing well! I've been sending many good thoughts your way.

I'm very impressed with your drawings! I'm more a stick figure gal myself. When I'm trying to be artistic, I enjoy working with clay (or Play-doh!) and hooking rugs.

bookreviewsbybobbie December 12, 2008 at 9:24 AM  

I hope everything is going well for you Emily!! Best wishes on your recuperation.

I love your sketch :-) You are a talented woman, indeed. Very nice shape, form and colour! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
I hope to see more too...

Take care!!!

-Bobbie

Book Reviews By Bobbie
http://bookreviewsbybobbie.wordpress.com/

Leah December 12, 2008 at 11:50 AM  

Emily, I think your drawing is lovely. And you get double relaxation - once while drawing and then again every time you look at such a nice floral arrangement.

EmilyBryan December 13, 2008 at 8:17 AM  

Well, I'm back online--sort of. They placed my IV on the inside of my left wrist, so it's hard to type without dinging it.

I'm feeling good! The doc said "everything looks good." I know my cute surgeon was just talking about my insides, it's still nice to hear. My recuperation from surgery is going better than average. I'm just waiting to learn that my lymph nodes are clear.

Gillian, funny you should mention clay. A little clay statue of a horse than my daughter made was the inspiration for DISTRACTING THE DUCHESSS and the missing horse figurine.

Bobbie, I have no imagination when it comes to the visual arts. I have to draw from life or sometimes, I'll do a reproduction of a favorite piece, just to explore how it was done. Don't worry. There's not a chance any one would mistake it for an original!

Leah, I don't know how lovely it is, but it holds some lovely memories. My mom and dad, who are both cancer survivors, went with my DH and I on the cruise and Dad did the drawing class with me. He has always had a fine hand for sketching, but hasn't done it often enough. I'm hoping this experience will get him going on this relaxing hobby.

Thank you all again for your prayers and well-wishes!

Lisa Marie Wilkinson December 13, 2008 at 2:17 PM  

I think your sketch is lovely! Take care and recuperate quickly so you can get back to enjoying all the high-tech gadgets!

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner December 14, 2008 at 3:24 PM  

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better!! Your drawing is lovely.

You mentioned collaging. I remember when people first talked about this brainstorming technique--I was dumbfounded. The idea of me going through magazines and glueing pictures to a posterboard made me break out in hives.

However, I know for some people it really helps them visualize their story and the characters. And getting glue on your fingers and using nothing higher-tech than a pair of scissors can be relaxing.

So while it's not for me, I do understand it. And that's not to say I didn't make mini dioramas representing some of my books (though after I finished writing them). Maybe I'll mention that on an upcoming post.

Didn't mean to ramble. But you got me thinking, as you always do.

My very best to you Emily!!!!! Get some good reading in, and rest, rest, rest. Surgery is no joke.

Jenn

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP