Thursday, November 20, 2008

Watcha Readin'?

I’ve never considered myself an author who is going to change the world with my words. (Ba ha ha ha). I consider myself a genre reader who likes to write.

For my post today, I’ll mention my eclectic reading of the past couple of weeks. Old and new… I was going to saw borrowed and blue, but I bought all these and I don’t think any of the covers are blue.


Enemy Lover by Bonnie Vanak. Finished this one a week or so ago. New Orleans, hot, hunky werewolves, a magic spell threatening the heroine, a to-die-for protective hero—what’s not to love? I was so happy when Bonnie told me Raphael’s book is next (next year). He’s the enforcer of the pack, is immortal, has deep, dark secrets. And he's hot!



The Solar Queen, by Andre Norton (collection of two short novels from ca. 1954; re-released in 2003). Andre Norton is most famous for her Witch World series, but I kinda like the old-fashioned science fiction/action-adventure series featuring Dane Thorson, a newly graduated cadet on his first space mission.

Andre Norton uses a device that’s out of fashion now—the observer character. The story is told through Dane’s eyes (it’s not first person, but you only go into his POV). He’s not the main action hero; his captain and others on the crew are. He hero-worships them a little and tells how they face danger and save the day. With a little of Dane’s help, of course. I've always liked the observer character--kind of like our link into that world. (F. Scott Fiztgerald used it, famously, in The Great Gatsby.)



Shifter, Anthology with Angela Knight, Lora Leigh, Alyssa Day, and Virginia Kantra. I’m working my way through this antho and really enjoying it. The stories are each quite different (action/adventure sci fi from Angela Knight; a Breed story from Lora Leigh; an Atlantis story by Alyssa Day, and a historical Selkie story by Virginia Kantra). I think each of these ladies are terrific writers and very entertaining. I love anthologies because you can read each novella in one sitting, and for a busy person, that’s nice!


Calista’s Men, by Jory Strong. This is a 2004 e-book by Jory (which is out in print too, but I had bought the e-book long ago, read it, then re-read it this week). It’s a good suspense story told by Calista, who has gotten a job over the summer (she’s a teacher) with the Crime Tells detective agency.

I realize I can’t really go into the romantic plot in detail, :-) but I’ll just say: Twin Italian brothers, one lucky girl. Mmm hmm.

It’s a great story, with terrific chemistry between all involved. Jory peppers it with other characters from the Crime Tells agency, as well as Calista’s cop brother and his wife. A fun, warm story with intrigue and lots of . . . well, you know. I’ve had the pleasure of doing a signing with Jory Strong, and she’s like the nicest person, ever.

I still do read historicals, really. Just not this week!


What's everyone else reading?

7 comments:

Cindy Holby November 20, 2008 at 7:20 AM  

I just finished Song Of The Humpback Whale by Jodie Picout. It wasn't my favorite by her but she's still an amazing writer. Right now I'm reading two unpublished manuscripts for quotes.

My TBR pile is torturing me. I've got Emily's To Pleasure A Pirate, Linnea Sinclairs Finders Keepers, Cl Wilson's newest book, the last Stephanie Meyer book and Acheron by Cheryl Kenyon. I'm looking forward to some cozy winter days by the fire with hot chocolate and a good book.

Amy C November 20, 2008 at 8:04 AM  

A friend of mine just read and reviewed Enemy Lover. She really liked it!
I read the Shifter anthology. I thought it was a really good one. I'd never read Virginia Kantra before and her's was my favorite of the four. I've since read her other two Selkie novels and am waiting for the third!

I just finished Sarah McCarty's Promises Reveal. My first read of hers and I totally loved it! Never read a western historical before and it was interesting to see the swords and daggers replaced with gunslinging outlaws! Right now, I'm reading Dragon Lovers Anthology (Jo Beverly, Mary Jo Putney, Karen Harbaugh and Barbara Samuel) I just started it, so I have no opinion yet, but I'm sure I'll like it.

EmilyBryan November 20, 2008 at 8:58 AM  

While I was on the ship last week, I had more time to read for pleasure than usual. I enjoyed Mary Jo Putney's A DISTANT MAGIC. Her style reminds me of Mary Stewart for beauty of language and depth of historicity. This one was an unusual time travel story. The hero and heroine were pinging and ponging along the moments in time that led to the abolition of slavery in an effort to assist the movement.

And I just finished CL Wilson's KING OF SWORD AND SKY and can't wait for the next installment. I had to blog about it at http://authorsandbooks.blogspot.com/2008/11/emily-bryans-guilty-pleasures.html

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner November 20, 2008 at 9:13 AM  

Amy: I'm glad to hear you liked the western hist. I haven't read Sarah's books yet, but hear good things about them. The western historical kind of went away, with a few exceptions, and it would be cool if it made a resurgence. (I have this western historical burning a hole in my brain, but I'm already deep into a Victorian series, so it has to wait.)

Westerns would be a good blog topic, now that you mention it. :-)

MsValerie November 20, 2008 at 1:33 PM  

What am I reading? Hmmm...I'm reading a couple of ARCs (really early) that I can't name, but they're fun.

I also just read Paige Tyler's Animal Attraction, which was wonderful...she's a new-to-me author, but I'll definitely be reading more of her books.

Next up...I think Cat of A Different Color by Dana Marie Bell...the latest of her Halle Puma series. If you haven't read her books, give her a try. She's a delight.

Oh Yeah....LOVED The Dragon Master!

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner November 21, 2008 at 9:52 AM  

Thanks Ms. Valerie! :-) I'll check out the authors you mention too, 'cause I need so much more to read. :-) (Thinking of teetering pile and full e-book reader.) But what the heck! Why spend money on anything but books?

Bonnie Vanak November 23, 2008 at 5:04 AM  

Glad you liked Enemy Lover, Jennifer. Right now I'm reading the proposal I'm trying to finish this weekend on Gabriel, one of Damian's brothers from Enemy Lover, and edits on the next Egyptian historical. I'm feeling a bit schzio flipping between a werewolf in Florida and an English earl in Egypt.

Next weekend I hope to take time to catch up on reading. Just hope my brain is able to process more than cereal box copy, lol.

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP