Friday, November 14, 2008

Recharging the batteries



I'm posting today but I wrote this a week ago. I'm actually somewhere in the Caribbean. My DH and I have been looking forward to running away together all year. And I refuse to let the threat of a late season hurricane dampen my spirits. I'm sure the ride's a little rougher than I'd like--I'm prone to seasickness--but I never travel without my little scopalomine patch. It makes me a little loopy, but I think my DH likes me that way sometimes!



I don't believe in the muse, but I do think all stories bubble up from a writer's subconscious. So I look for things that stimulate that creative part of my brain. Travel revitalizes me. New places, new experiences feed my imagination and give me new ideas for stories and characters. When I'm in the zone and writing a story I've plotted, I can usually crank out 10 pages a day. But I need "down times" too. Time to fill up, to plan, to play with my characters and plot points, to dream.



And do a little recreational scopalamine.



We all need something that refills our cup. What do you do to recharge? What inspires your best ideas?


8 comments:

ddurance November 14, 2008 at 8:49 AM  

I like to play cards, read, video games or just something that's not the norm for me just as a special treat.

Deidre

Cindy Holby November 14, 2008 at 2:18 PM  

first off, sooo jealous. We were supposed to be cruising this week but the finances just didn't allow it.

I like to escape into movies, a good book, or just go for a walk. It's amazing how quickly I can recharge just by walking the dog

Caroline November 15, 2008 at 11:25 AM  

Recharging comes anywhere away from the house, where there are too many distractions. But for ideas, usually a long walk or slow run on the treadmill get ideas flowing. Long drives in the car, a boring movie. Anything like that and I have lines and images running through my mind like crazy. Then all I have to do is remember them until I can get back to my computer!

Have a wonderful vacation!!
~C

Joy Nash November 16, 2008 at 7:11 AM  

Travel is wonderful when I can get to it (no as often as I'd like!) But just taking a day or a week off from writing every day can recharge my creative batteries.

I'll watch movies, read books, take a day trip somewhere, or spend a few hours happily googling away on odd topics closely or loosely related to my book. (Some might call this research, I call it fun)

Strict schedules scare away my muse after a while, and getting away from that minimum page-count-per-day angst invites her back.

Joy

Joy Nash November 16, 2008 at 7:11 AM  

Travel is wonderful when I can get to it (no as often as I'd like!) But just taking a day or a week off from writing every day can recharge my creative batteries.

I'll watch movies, read books, take a day trip somewhere, or spend a few hours happily googling away on odd topics closely or loosely related to my book. (Some might call this research, I call it fun)

Strict schedules scare away my muse after a while, and getting away from that minimum page-count-per-day angst invites her back.

Joy

Joy Nash November 16, 2008 at 7:11 AM  

Not sure why that comment came up twice! Oh, well :-)

Joy

EmilyBryan November 16, 2008 at 11:07 AM  

Thanks for posting everyone. And thanks to Joy twice! LOL.

We had a wonderful time on our cruise and we aren't quite home yet. We're in the Ft Lauderdale airport waiting for our flight home to reality where I am no longer queen of all I survey.

Had a great time with my parents, who came with us and I was even able to take the scopalomine patch off after a few days, so I will remember most of our trip! My dad and I took a couple of drawing classes that were such relaxing fun, I'm going to have to make time for it at home. Ate too much, spent too much (never go to art auctions at sea!), but I'm already dreaming about the next trip.

Bonnie Vanak November 17, 2008 at 4:25 PM  

Fort Lauderdale is a nice airport, isn't it? Glad you had a good time!

Cindy Holby

Gerri Russell

Joy Nash

Bonnie Vanak

Emily Bryan

C.L. Wilson

The Chatelaines Graphics© 2008 and © Blog Template 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

2008

Back to TOP